There are a lot of reasons to make candles instead of buying them. Not only is it fun, but it allows you to make exactly the candles you want with the scents you want. However, it is not easy to dive right in, which makes candle making kits a great place to start. The list below will introduce you to some of the top candle making kits on the market.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the best Candle Making Kits:
- Scandinavian Candle Co. Luxury Soy Candle Making Kit
- Minimale Collective Luxury Candle Making Kit
- JIWINNER Candle Making Kit
Criteria for Choosing the Best Candle Making Kits
When it comes to candle making kits, most of them are meant for beginners, with the goal being to give everything needed to get started. That often means less impressive materials and a specific selection of wax, dyes, and fragrances. Therefore, with that in mind, the following things were considered when choosing the kits on this list:
- Completeness: The first thing to consider is how complete the kit is. It needs to have all the basics covered, and they need to be high enough quality to last for more than one use. Additionally, having a variety of scents, dye blocks, and some things like extra wicks is always a plus.
- Scents: When it comes to a candle, the scent might be the most important part. Even a candle that does not have a smooth, professional look will be worth having as long as it smells good. Of course, most kits do not have the best fragrance oil, but all of the kits on this list include oils with pleasant scents.
- Instructions: Not every candle making kit is going to have the best instructions, but it is important that the kit does not leave you in the dark. There are a lot of nuances when making candles, and while that might not be as important to a beginner, everyone who gets a kit wants to make nice candles.
There are other things that need to be considered as well, such as making sure the quality is passable. Additionally, the containers are important, not just for aesthetics but to make sure they are a decent size. Lastly, when it comes to candle making kits, value is important.
The 7 Best Candle Making Kits
There are many candle-making kits to choose from, and not all of them are worth the money you will pay for them. Listed below are some of the top candle making kits available, which should help take some of the guesswork out of choosing a kit to start your journey into creating your own candles.
Scandinavian Candle Co. Luxury Soy Candle Making Kit
The first candle making kit on this list is all you need to make six incredible soy candles. The kit includes things like a wax melting pitcher, candle tins, wicks, centering devices, and all the other odds and ends that make the process possible. It also comes with two gift bags and 12 designer labels if you want your handmade candles to be gifts.
They do not skimp on the scents, either, giving two great scent combinations for you to use. The first fragrance oil is lime basil and mandarin, and the second is wood sage and sea salt. This kit makes it easy to make your own candles, and it is not something you want to miss out on, especially if you are a beginner.
- The kit includes everything you need to make your candles
- There are labels and gift bags if you want to give a handmade gift
- There are two fragrance oils to add some scent to the candles
- The kit is very beginner-friendly
- Many people have found the scents to be too subtle
- The included thermometer is not very high-quality
Minimale Collective Luxury Candle Making Kit
When it comes to making your own candles, it is hard to beat this versatile kit from Minimale Collective. It comes with everything you need, including glass jars and three different fragrance oils. The scents included in this kit are grapefruit and clementine, sparkling limoncello, and vanilla bean. Each of them comes through well, too.
The kit comes with beautiful labels that show what fragrance oil was used, making them attractive gifts. There are even gift tags to make these work even better as individual gifts. Though, one of the things that really sets this kit apart is the set of candle accessories that go beyond making them, such as a wick trimmer and candle snuffer.
- The kit comes with all you need to get started and more
- There are three unique fragrance oils in the kit
- There are beautiful labels for each scent
- The included gift tags allow you to gift them individually
- The kit only makes three candles in total
- It would be served well by having better wicks
JIWINNER Candle Making Kit
There are a lot of candle making kits out there, but this one is unique in that it allows you to add your artistic vision into the process. The candles made using this kit are transparent, which means you can add various things to get a custom appearance that is sure to be a hit, especially if you plan to use the homemade candles as a gift.
The kit comes with all the basics, including glass containers of various sizes. It also comes with four fragrance oils, which are lavender, sweet orange, tea tree, and peppermint. Moreover, there are also a number of things to add color and style to your candles, including colored sand, glitter, seashells, and colorful dye.
- The candles are transparent and easily customizable
- There are four unique fragrance oils with fantastic scents
- There are a number of artistic things to add to the candles
- The kit comes with different glass containers for various candle sizes
- It is not as beginner-friendly as some kits
- The quality of the melting pitcher is not the best
Velver Candle Making Kit Soy Wax
Add elegance and fragrance to your home with the modern designed candles and experience the warm glow as it illuminates through the beautiful glass jars with the high-quality Velver Candle Making Kit! No more settling for low-quality wax candles when you can create your own luxurious, eco-friendly candles in the comfort of your home. The all-inclusive kit comes with everything you need: 2 bags of soy wax, 4 essential oils, 3 candle wick holders, 4 powdered candle dyes, a durable melting pitcher with spoon, wax thermometer, cotton wicks, glue dots, glass jars with wooden lids, an instruction book, glass labels, and a bonus luxury gift box.
Lift your mood with the therapeutic grade luxury oils (lavender, lemongrass, sandal tree, and vanilla) included in the kit, and create single note scented candles tailored to your preferences. The handy candle-making thermometer ensures you achieve the perfect wax temperature for optimal fragrance infusion.The Velver Candle Making Kit is not only perfect for your own use but also makes a unique and thoughtful gift for loved ones, all beautifully packaged in a stunning gift box. Elevate your candle-making game and invest in this high-quality, all-inclusive kit today.
- High-quality soy wax
- The comprehensive kit has everything you need
- Fantastic fragrance
- There is a bit of a learning curve
- Limited fragrance options
ASH & HARRY (US Based Company) Premium Candle Making Kit
ASH & HARRY provides one of the most extensive kits out there, and it is not lacking in quality or good scents, either. This candle making kit includes all the odds and ends you will need to melt your wax and make ten candles. There are ten tin and glass containers in the kit of various colors, shapes and sizes.
The kit also includes five 8 oz bags of all natural soy wax that can be paired with different fragrances and essential oils. The scents included are Lilac, Tea Tree, Vanilla Bean, Rose Sandalwood, Sparkling Limocello, Lavender, Grapefruit and Clementine. There are even a few gift bags if you want to use these pleasant candles as handmade gifts.
- Includes multiple scents and color dyes
- Utilizes biodegradable soy wax
- Comes with various containers for gifting
- It is not the easiest kit to use
Hearth & Harbor DIY Candle Making Kit
Hearth & Harbor’s candle making kit has everything you expect, from the melting pot to the odds and ends to make some incredible candles. However, this kit also has a lot of additional supplies, including a total of 16 blocks of dye. That gives you enough dye for the four candles the base kit makes, plus some. Then there is the extra wax and wicks.
This kit does not only come with a basic beginner’s kit, but there is 10lbs of additional wax, 100 wicks, and 100 glue dots, and all of this comes at a fantastic price that will give you plenty to work with for a long time to come. You can even grab your own fragrance oils and containers and grow your homemade candle collection.
- All of the basics are covered in the beginner’s kit
- There is an additional 10lbs of wax, 100 wicks, and 100 glue dots
- The extra dye blocks allow you to choose your favorite colors
- The kit offers a lot for the price
- The fragrances are not the best
- There were multiple complaints about poor packaging
JIWINNER DIY Candle Making Kit
JIWINNER makes the list again with another great candle making kit that is sure to impress. Only, this time, it is not about artistic freedom, relying on some basic dye blocks and soy wax instead. Additionally, it comes with two glass jars and five beautiful candle tins to place your candles in. The colorful tins make for great gifts, too.
The kit comes with everything you might expect, but it also includes additional glue dots and wicks, allowing for some mistakes. Additionally, the fragrance oils are of great quality, coming in lavender, peppermint, sweet orange, and tea tree. If you are a beginner, it is also worth noting that the kit comes with clear, easy-to-follow instructions.
- The kit includes some extra wicks and glue dots in case you mess up
- There are some beautiful tins included, which make great gifts
- It comes with four unique scents
- The instructions make things easier for beginners
- The scents do not come through as much when burning the candles
How to Shop for a Candle Making Kit
As you might have noticed looking through the list above, many of the candle making kits on the market, and especially those that are worth buying, contain many of the same items. However, there are a few things you should consider:
- Wax: While most of the candle making kits you find feature soy wax, there are other options. One featured above is gel wax, though beeswax and paraffin are incredibly common options you will see when looking at candles and candle making kits. You can really choose any, though soy wax is popular for a reason.
- Scents: If you have your own fragrance oils and do not mind doing some research on how much to use, you can ignore the included scents. However, if it is a gift or new hobby, you should make sure the scents included are pleasant and something you like. There are many kits with various scents.
- Decoration: There are various forms of decoration, from the tins and stickers to dye blocks and additional embellishments. Decorations are important when it comes to candles, especially those being used as a gift.
Of course, you should also pay close attention to the accessories included in the kit. Some have great melting pitchers, while others might have a better thermometer or wicks. Make sure you get a kit that you are satisfied with, particularly if you want to reuse some of the accessories when making future candles.
Candle making kits serve as great gifts, and you can also give the individual handmade candles as gifts as well. A candle making kit can also be an exciting first step into a great hobby, allowing you to have some fun while making some delightful candles. Just make sure to get a kit that has accessories, scents, and colors you like.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.