Although the more recent PlayStation 5 model made headlines for selling out quickly and being impossible to find at stores nationwide, the older PlayStation 4 model continues to be reliable and works just as well. The PlayStation 4 was first released back in 2016 but continues to be a popular gaming console. However, what happens when your PS4 console power cord stops working? Or a beloved pet chews on the cord, causing power failure? Check out our list of the eight best power cords for the PlayStation 4 when you’re in need of a replacement.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top PS4 power cord picks:
Our Criteria for Selecting a High-Quality PS4 Power Cord
- Compatibility: Most replacement cords on the market aren’t made specifically for old gaming consoles but rather for a variety of electronic products. Make sure the cord you choose specifically says that it’s PS4 compatible. Another helpful way to check is by reading the reviews. Typically reviewers will report if they purchased a product that said it was compatible and then it didn’t work.
- Length: Depending on your gaming setup, do you require a longer or shorter power cord? One thing that tends to annoy people is a messy cluster of cords or having a cord in an unconventional place due to buying the wrong length.
- Does It Work? As simple as this criterion sounds, a reliable power cord that lasts longer than a few uses is vital for an effective purchase.
The 5 Best PS4 Compatible Power Cords
CorpCo UL Listed 6ft AC Power Cord Replacement for Sony PlayStation 4
With nearly 5,000 reviews and a reasonable price, the CorpCo AC power cord tops our list. This cord has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating and works for many other gaming systems like the Xbox as well as the PS3. Reviewers praised how well this cord worked for their PS4’s and one reviewer noted this cord saved them from having to buy another PS4 because they thought their original PS4 had died.
- The six foot cord length is ideal for gaming setups.
- Well reviewed, with praise consistent to the way the company markets the cord
- Ten reviewers said it worked just like their original PS4 cables.
- The price is really reasonable for the length of cable you receive
- Important to note: Does not work on the PS4 Pro
- Only comes in a six foot length, no other sizes
- One reviewer said their cord randomly lost power, and as a result was not a consistent product
The TPLTech AC Power Cord
The TPLTECH AC power cord comes in several different lengths with the shortest being 3.3 feet, then 5 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet and 12 feet. This cord is UL listed which means it meets industry safety standards. The cord is also bending-resistant, and according to the company, is soft and flexible and resistant to wear and tear. This cord is compatible with the PS4 slim edition as well as PS2’s, PS3’s, Xbox One S and Xbox One X’s and more.
- This cord is versatile and works for a wide range of products in addition to the PS4
- The price adjusts accordingly depending on the cord length
- Has a 4.8 out of 5 star ranking based on 4,697 reviews.
- Ranked number one in Sony PSP Games, Consoles and Accessories
- Many reviewers said this cord did the job it was supposed to, which was to keep their console powered up
- A recent reviewer said all they got in the mail was an empty envelope
- One reviewer said that theirs didn’t work
The Bicmice AC Power Cord
The Bicmice AC power cord is another power cord that says it’s compatible with a variety of devices in addition to the PS4. You can purchase this cord in a 6 foot or 12 foot length. This cord is also UL certified so it meets industry safety standards and is made from high-quality pure copper wire. This cord is compatible with the PS3 and PS4 slim models, the PS3 and the PS4, and the newer PS5.
- Versatile. This cord is compatible with a lot of gaming consoles and you can still use it if you decide to upgrade from the PS4 to the PS5
- Comes in two lengths: 6 and 12 feet and there’s only a dollar price difference between sizes
- Has a 4.8 out of 5 star rating averaged from 1,192 reviews.
- Several recent reviewers said this replacement cord worked just like the original
- One reviewer said it didn’t fit their PS4 pro (To be fair the company doesn’t specifically mention the PS4 Pro on their compatibility list.)
- Another reviewer noted that there were no listed product specifications on the page and the only thing they had to go by was the picture.
- Another reviewer said their cord broke in two days
Chanzon UL Listed 3/6/10ft AC Power Cord for PS4
This Chanzon power cord made two of our power cord lists based on its durability, reliability, and versatility. You can get this cord in a 3-foot length, a 6-foot length, and a 10-foot length. This cord is fully UL certified and comes with a one-year warranty and lifetime technical support.
- This cord works for a wide range of products besides the PS4 so you can purchase more than one for more uses in your home.
- Has a 4.8 out of 5 star rating based on 1,382 reviews
- Reviewers praised the high-quality of this cord
- One reviewer praised the low price based on how well the cord worked as a PS4 replacement cord
- Note: Make sure to purchase the non-polarized Chanzon cord. The polarized Chanzon cord won’t work for PlayStation 4’s.
- Several reviewers said it actually didn’t work for their PS4’s.
The Sliq Gaming 2 Prong Power Cable/Cord
Remember the reviewers who said some of the other cords on this list didn’t work for their PS4 Pro? The Sliq Gaming 2 Prong Power Cable and Cord is the cable that is compatible with the PS4 Pro. This cord also comes with a one year warranty and you can extend that warranty by an extra six months by registering your product on the Sliq gaming website. The nice thing about this cord is that it’s made by a company that focuses only on gaming.
- Made by gamers for gamers
- The cord is durable, and also travel friendly.
- Has a 4.6 out of 5 star rating based off of 2,346 global reviews
- Works with several XBox consoles as well
- Another reviewer said, “Just What You Wanted For the Price”
- In terms of PlayStation 4 compatibility, this cord only works for the PS4 Pro
- One reviewer said their cord didn’t last very long
- Compatible with 2-pin input only
A key thing to note for buying a replacement power cord is this. Check the compatibility. A lot of these cords listed were specifically compatible with only certain PS4 models, and researching that before purchasing will save you time, money, and the headache of realizing that you purchased the wrong type of replacement cord.
What’s nice about a lot of the cords on this list is their compatibility with a lot of electronic devices. If you decide to ultimately donate your PS4 but still have the cumbersome cable, consider saving it for another compatible product. (And buying said cable that is advertised as working with multiple products with the future of your PS4 in mind.)
It’s easy to not put a lot of thought into a product that costs less than a trip to Starbucks, but with a bit of planning and research, you’ll find a cord that’ll last you a lifetime, or at least a year (make sure to check the product warranty!)
The most frustrating thing about gaming is losing power right before you’ve had a chance to save your progress. Avoid that and save yourself a headache by investing in a high-quality PS4 power cord.
Other Related Products You Might Enjoy
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.