If you are out in nature, you never know when you might need a waterproof backpack. You might need one to prevent heavy rain from soaking your things, or you might want to keep one around if you are on a boat or doing an activity around a body of water. Regardless of the reason, a waterproof backpack provides a great deal of security.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Waterproof Backpack of 2021
- IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag
- Vitchelo 30L Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack
- Drakon Outdoors 40L Waterproof Dry Bag Survival Backpack
Criteria for Choosing the Best Waterproof Backpack
There are a lot of reasons to choose a waterproof backpack over a regular backpack. However, there are some things that need to be kept in mind, such as whether a backpack is waterproof or just water-resistant. Therefore, these things were kept in mind when choosing the best waterproof backpacks:
- Material: Material means a lot when it comes to finding a waterproof backpack. After all, many backpacks are water-resistant, but a waterproof backpack needs to be made out of certain materials, such as heavy-duty PVC. All of the backpacks on this list are made out of waterproof material.
- Design: The design is also highly important for ensuring that the backpack will be waterproof. The seams need to be properly sealed, and chances are, the closure will need to be a roll-top design for added security. Design is also important for comfort.
- Storage: The amount of storage on a waterproof backpack is vital, and this is not just referring to the internal capacity. A waterproof backpack needs to be sealed tight, so accessing items inside of it can be tedious. Therefore, having external storage is a major factor, even if not mandatory.
Each of the bags on this list has its own strengths, but all of them do one thing well, which is keeping your things dry. While they might have a different number of features, you will not find any of them lacking where it counts.
The 8 of Best Waterproof Backpack of 2021
The best waterproof backpacks are those that truly provide protection against the elements. The backpacks on this list are so waterproof that they can last under heavy rain or full submersion, with the main differences being their overall design and the bells and whistles provided.
IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag
When it comes to waterproof backpacks, the most complete solution is a dry bag with backpack straps, and that’s what you get with this bag by IDRYBAG. This waterproof backpack comes in four colors and can be purchased in 20L, 30L, and 40L sizes. It is also made using 500D PVC material that is not only waterproof but highly durable.
When this bag is closed properly, it can be dropped into the water without the things inside getting wet. The ergonomic design also allows for maximum comfort, with the cushions and straps supporting your back. It also comes equipped with a reflective strip for safety in low-light situations. There is even an easily accessed outer pocket for personal items.
- It is durable due to the high-quality PVC material used
- The backpack is entirely waterproof once secured
- The ergonomic design supports your back
- There is a reflective strip that helps keep you safe
- There is an outer pouch for quick access to certain items
- It can be uncomfortable on those with a small frame
Vitchelo 30L Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack
Vitchelo’s waterproof backpack is made with a lot of care. You will notice the effort immediately, starting with the vinyl material used to make the backpack. By itself, the material is durable and waterproof, but this product only takes things further using a welded seam and a roll-top closure for the ultimate protection from the elements.
The internal storage of this bag is 30L, and that is all waterproof and protected from whatever you decide to throw at it. Meanwhile, there is a netting pocket on both sides of the bag for storing things that you want to grab on the go. There are even cushions and straps to make it comfortable and secure, helping reduce the strain on your back.
- The construction is high-quality and durable
- It is entirely waterproof once properly secured
- There is a great deal of internal storage
- It has two external netting pockets
- The straps and cushions help keep it comfortable
- It lacks some features to be comfortable on long outings
- The netting pockets are a little flimsy
Drakon Outdoors 40L Waterproof Dry Bag Survival Backpack
If you want a bag with all of the bells and whistles, then the Drakon backpack featured here should be your go-to choice. The material used is 500D PVC, so you know it will be waterproof. It is also resistant to tears and scratches, boasting impressive durability. Moreover, with its high-frequency welded seams, nothing will get through.
One of the reasons this backpack stands out, aside from its impressive construction, is the MOLLE system. This system allows you to carry a great deal in the six external pouches, each of which can be easily moved or removed. Moreover, the external pouches are weather-sealed, even if they are not waterproof.
- Incredibly durable and secured with impressive welded seams
- It is resistant to water, tears, and scratches
- The backpack has a full MOLLE system
- The external storage is weather-sealed
- It has an internal capacity of 40L
- The price is much higher than other options
RUNCL Waterproof Dry Bag
Of all of the options on this list, the RUNCL waterproof backpack is the least like a traditional backpack. In fact, the 10L bag only has one strap, while the 20L, 30L, and 40L bags have increasingly comfortable double straps. However, if you want a backpack that will provide protection from water for a great price, few do it better.
The reason this backpack is so effective is its 3-layer reinforced construction, which utilizes a polyester shell and two layers of PVC to ensure it is both waterproof and durable. Its heat-welded seam and roll-top closure serve to make it more secure, and the simple MOLLE system and its external storage spaces give you plenty of space.
- It comes at a very reasonable price
- There are three layers of protection
- It has a heat-welded seam and roll-top closure
- There is plenty of external storage potential
- The straps provide very little comfort
- There are no cushions or back support
Bassdash Waterproof TPU Backpack
If you would prefer a waterproof backpack that has a more traditional look while still being effective, then this Bassdash backpack is a good choice. It is made with 420D nylon fabric, has a waterproof thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) coating, and uses a roll-top design that leaves 24L of internal space after it has been properly sealed.
This backpack also has external storage, including two adjustable straps meant to hold a rod, rod tube, or net. There is also a mesh pocket on the other side of the bag and daisy chain webbing at the front, so you can attach more external storage. Plus, the bag is ergonomic and breathable, so you will be comfortable no matter how much is added.
- It is made out of high-quality 420D nylon
- There is a waterproof TPU coating
- The design allows for a decent amount of external storage
- The back is ergonomic and breathable
- The material can get a little hot on warm days
Piscifun Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack
There are a few things that make Piscifun’s waterproof backpack stand out, with the most obvious being the price. It is one of the most modestly priced bags you will find, and yet it has everything you could want from a waterproof backpack, including numerous size and color options. Plus, the construction and design are both solid.
This backpack is actually made out of the 500D PVC that is used by most brands. Moreover, the seams are sealed, thermo welding is used to ensure everything is tight and reliable, and the bottom and stress points are reinforced with vinyl. You will even find some external storage with the mesh pocket on the back of the backpack.
- It is a very inexpensive product
- The material used is waterproof 500D PVC
- Thermo welding and wide seams ensure there are no leaks
- The bottom and stress points are reinforced
- There is a mesh pocket on the outside for easy-access storage
- There is nothing to improve comfort for the wearer
- The external storage is a bit lacking
Skog Å Kust BackSåk Waterproof Floating Backpack
The waterproof backpack featured here starts off with a sleek design and a number of color options. There are even two different sizes, which are 25L and 35L. But this backpack is more than an appealing appearance. It uses waterproof 500D PVC, welded seams, and a roll-top design to ensure that no water gets in once it is properly secured.
The backpack is made for convenience and comfort as well, giving it a leg up on many competitors. For instance, while it does use a roll-top design to become impenetrable to the elements, it can also be closed in a different way that is less secure but easier to do, which is perfect for everyday use. The back and straps are even padded for comfort.
- It is made out of heavy-duty waterproof material
- There are two ways to close it
- The back and straps are padded for comfort
- There is an external zippered pocket
- It has several internal pockets for easy organizing
- It is a bit pricey compared to other similar bags
- The external storage space is lacking
IDRYBAG Roll Top Waterproof Backpack
The last waterproof backpack on this list is one of the best you will find anywhere, and it comes from IDRYBAG, a brand that has already made its way onto this list once. It starts with the usual trustworthy 500D PVC, throws in some high-frequency welded seams, and has a roll-top design with an additional cap at the top for extra protection.
After the waterproofing is out of the way, you also have a number of other features to look at, including quite a bit of external storage. There are two side pouches and a mesh pocket, and inside there is another useful pocket with additional organizing space. Plus, padding ensures comfort, while reflective strips make sure you stay safe at night.
- It is made out of high-quality materials
- There is a roll-top design with an added cap
- It comes with plenty of external storage
- There is comfortable padding on the back and straps
- None of the external storage spaces protect against water
How to Shop for a Waterproof Backpack
Every waterproof backpack on this list is a great product that will keep your items safe, and there are many other great waterproof backpacks out there. However, each of them is different, and which one is best for you comes down to what you want. Here are some things to keep in mind to choose the best waterproof backpack for you:
- Storage Space: You will want to keep storage space in mind, and this is not just how much space is inside the backpack. You want to keep external storage in mind as well. Some people will not care about external storage, but for those who want easy access to certain things, external storage is important.
- Comfort: Some of the less expensive backpacks do not focus on comfort at all, and they lack any padding, whether it be on the back or the straps. So, if you plan on taking your bag out on long excursions or need the extra support, then you will want to pick a suitably comfortable backpack.
There are plenty of other things to consider as well, such as the material and the design, but most waterproof backpacks have similar roll-top designs and materials. Therefore, you should have no problem finding a great waterproof backpack.
Waterproof backpacks are a great choice for people who spend a lot of time outdoors or around water. They provide a lot of storage space while offering protection against water and the elements. Therefore, if you want a durable, waterproof backpack that will withstand the toughest of environments, do not hesitate to grab one for yourself.
Other Products You May Need
- The 8 Best Camping Tables of 2021
- The Eight Best Pairs of Rubber Boots You Can Find in 2021
- The Best 9 Outdoor Projector Screens Your Next Gathering Needs
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.