Electric knives have a variety of uses, from cutting meat and bread to shaping foam and filleting fish. However, no matter what purpose you buy one for, the reason to get it remains the same: to make cutting easier. With an electric knife, you not only get an effortless cut, but you also gain a tool with a great deal of precision and reliability.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the best electric knives of 2021
Criteria for Choosing the Best Electric Knife
There are multiple types of electric knives out there, as mentioned above. However, every electric knife, whether it is for carving or filleting, has the same general requirements. Therefore, these things were carefully considered when choosing the electric knives on this list:
- Sufficient Power: How much power you need largely depends on what you plan to cut, but every knife on this list is known to be able to carve and do its job properly. Of course, there are some options that are less powerful than others, but all the knives on this list are meant to carve effectively.
- Blade Length: While blade length varies from knife to knife, every one of the electric knives featured here has an appropriate length for carving. Some even feature various blade lengths, allowing you to change out the blade depending on what you are cutting.
- Ergonomics: The purpose of an electric knife is to cut and carve, so it is important that they be comfortable in hand. You need to be able to use them for an extended duration if need be, and that was considered when choosing the knives on this list.
- Safety: Electric knives can be dangerous if they are not used properly. Therefore, it is important to select a knife with the appropriate safety features. After all, a sharp knife powered by an electric motor could do some real damage if it starts up accidentally.
There are other factors that were considered as well, such as whether the blades were stainless steel and the length of the cable. However, the above were the most important considerations when choosing electric knives for this list, separating the mediocre electric knives from the top ones.
The 7 of Best Electric Knives of 2021
There are quite a few electric knives to choose from, but you have to pick and choose if you are looking for quality. This article aims to make the search easier, which is why different types of electric knives from the top brands were chosen. Therefore, if you are looking for an electric knife, take a close look at the options below.
Hamilton Beach Electric Knife
If you are looking for a basic electric knife or an entry-level product, Hamilton Beach makes a no-frills version that is incredibly effective. This electric knife starts with an ergonomic handle that is made with plastic and leads down to a stainless steel blade. The blade even utilizes reciprocating serrated blades, allowing for an effortless cut.
Not only is the Hamilton Beach electric knife easy to use, but it can be used in the kitchen or as a crafting knife. Regardless of what you decide to use it for, this electric knife only weighs two pounds, so you don’t have to worry about being able to control it well. Moreover, it is reasonably priced and comes with both a fork and carrying case.
- It is an inexpensive electric knife
- The blade is made using stainless steel
- It utilizes reciprocating serrated blades
- It is very lightweight and easy to use
- This electric knife is wireless
- It can overheat with heavy use
- The cord is a little short
Another great electric knife comes from Cuisinart, a brand known for its culinary products. This knife comes with a carving fork as well, though you can choose to purchase the electric knife by itself. If you get them as a set, you also get a storage tray with spaces for the handle, blade, and fork, all of which sit on a bamboo cutting board.
When it comes to the electric knife itself, you can rest assured that you are getting something that can cut. The Cuisinart electric knife utilizes a universal serrated blade that is great for meat or bread, and the handle is made for both right-handed and left-handed users. It is safe as well, with the knife locking when the trigger is released.
- It comes with a knife, fork, and cutting board
- The knife locks when the trigger is released
- The blade has a quick-release button
- The serrated blade is universal
- It has an ergonomic handle
- This electric knife is known to be noisy
- The handle can be difficult to wield when wet
Electric knives are convenient, and this can be seen especially clearly when it comes to electric fillet knives. An electric fillet knife makes it easy to deal with fresh fish, and the Rapala knife featured here makes it even easier with an advanced design meant to deliver plenty of power and keep the entire process as effortless as possible.
Some of the features you will get with this knife are a quiet motor, an advanced airflow design, and an array of ways to plug it in. Thanks to the multiple ways to plug it in, you can use this knife almost anywhere. Plus, it has both a 6-inch and 7.5-inch serrated blade for your filleting needs. You even get a carrying case to keep it all together.
- The body of the knife has a relaxed grip
- It utilizes an advanced airflow design
- The motor is quiet and lasts a long time
- It includes adapters so that you can use it anywhere
- It comes with two stainless steel reciprocating serrated blades
- It can be difficult to put everything back in the case
- Might have power problems using the 12V options
The Mueller electric knife featured here is one of the best when it comes to grip and effectiveness. The handle is smaller than most, so you can grip the knife comfortably, regardless of your hand size. Plus, it packs enough power to get the job done without any problems, thanks to the reciprocating serrated blades that glide through most meat.
The blade used by this electric knife is made with stainless steel, and it is very sharp. In fact, the entire design is meant to be light and powerful, focusing on precision and sharpness while remaining lightweight and comfortable. It also has a simple one-touch control that allows you to operate the knife by holding one button.
- It uses a reciprocating serrated blade
- The blade is made using stainless steel
- Utilizes an easy-to-use one-touch control
- There is a focus on precision and sharpness
- The design is meant to be lightweight and comfortable
- Lacks additional safety features
Black and Decker make another great electric carving knife, and its 9-inch stainless steel blades start things off right. They are high-quality, and aside from cutting rapidly and evenly, they will not need to be sharpened. You can rest assured that they will make quick work of food, foam, and anything else that might require a quality electric knife.
The grip is also made to be convenient and comfortable, with the ergonomic design improving control and reducing hand fatigue. In addition, there is a safety lock button that prevents the knife from turning on accidentally. After it has been used, you can even release the blade with the press of a button, then put the blades in a dishwasher.
- It has 9-inch stainless steel blades
- The handle is ergonomic and comfortable
- There is a safety lock button to prevent accidents
- The blades can be released with the press of a button
- The safety button can make twists and turns difficult
- This knife vibrates quite a bit during use
If you are looking for a reliable electric knife, you will not find many better than the NutriChef knife featured here. First off, the blades are sharp, durable, and easy to clean and replace. They are made using stainless steel, can be detached with the press of a button, and are dishwasher safe. There are even specific blades for bread and meat.
The NutriChef electric knife also has a safety lock to prevent accidents. Moreover, it is ergonomic and comfortable in hand, having a sleek design and more comfortable hold than most of the knives out there. Plus, it is not only comfortable but easy to use as well. It even comes with a convenient and appealing wooden stand.
- The knife has a safety lock to prevent accidents
- The handle is ergonomic and comfortable
- It includes a stand for the handle and blades
- It comes with two stainless steel serrated blades
- There are two different types of blades specialized for bread and meat
- Inserting the blades can be a bit challenging
- It does not tell you which blade is for meat and which is for bread
There are not many electric fillet knives out there with as much versatility as this knife made by BUBBA. It starts from the grip, having an 8.5-inch handle and a non-slip grip that includes a trigger guard. Not only do you get control and safety, but you get a comfortable handle that is perfect for extended use. Even the trigger is ergonomic.
The blades take things a step further, having a dual-rivet design and being made from stainless steel coated in titanium-nitride. There are even four different blades, ranging from 7 to 12 inches, and coming in a mix of flexible and stiff styles. It is even cordless, coming with two lithium-ion batteries and a built-in battery-life indicator.
- The handle is non-slip, ergonomic, and includes a trigger guard
- The blades are high-quality, coated stainless steel
- There are four different blades of various lengths and styles
- It comes with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
- The knife comes with a convenient carrying case
- It is quite expensive compared to other electric knives
- The handle is a bit thick
How to Shop for a Best Electric Knife
When you are shopping for an electric knife, there are a few things that you need to consider. First and foremost, you need to think about what kind of knife you need. If you are looking to fillet fish or cut foam, then you might have different needs than if you want to carve meat and bread. Therefore, consider these things when shopping:
- Power Needs: While most knives will satisfy your needs, you might want to look into the power behind the electric knives you look at if you have specific needs. For instance, if you are looking to carve tougher meat regularly, then you will want a more powerful motor.
- Corded or Cordless: There are some major differences between corded and cordless electric knives. Most are corded, which means you have to consider cord length and location when using them. However, for those that are cordless, you have to consider any additional bulkiness and battery life.
- Blade Length: While all of the knives on this list have an appropriate blade length for carving, you might need something longer or shorter to fit your needs. If you want to cut foam, you might want something with more precision, while certain meats and fish might require a longer blade.
There are a lot of features to consider when you are shopping for an electric knife, such as a comfortable grip or a knife that is lightweight and easy to handle. However, when it comes to electric knives, the most important factors are whether they will work where you need them to and with what you need them to cut.
Electric knives are a convenient, reliable tool that can be used both inside and outside the kitchen. There are even a number of specialty knives that can make performing tiresome tasks easier. Therefore, if you are looking for an effortless and precise cutting experience, you should turn towards electric knives.
Other Products You May Need
- The Top 8 Hot Plates of 2021
- The 8 Best Stainless-Steel Grills of 2021
- The Top 9 Most Compatible & Portable Charcoal Grills
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.