Hot plates are great for a number of reasons. They can be used in dorms or other places where something small and mobile is handy, or they can be a fantastic backup burner if something goes wrong or you need an extra place to cook or keep something warm. Luckily, there are a lot of brands and types of hot plates out there.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Hot Plates:
- Elite Gourmet Countertop Electric Hot Burner
- Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop
- Cuisinart Cast-Iron Double Burner
Criteria for Choosing the Hot Plate
When it comes to choosing a good hot plate, the main things you need to consider are the heating element and the safety features. You need your hot plate to be easy to use, effective, and something that will work without any risk involved, especially if you plan to use it in a smaller area. Thus, these things were considered when choosing hot plates:
- Wattage: Some hot plates are meant to keep things warm, while others are meant to cook meals. Regardless of their purpose, having a decent wattage is a must. Therefore, all of the hot plates chosen are those with enough power to work effectively.
- Temperature Settings: All of the hot plates chosen have various temperature settings. Having multiple settings is important to make sure it can go low enough to heat an item without burning it or hit the perfect temperature to boil and cook something properly.
- Safety: Hot plates are often used in small places, so it is important to keep safety in mind. Because of that, all of the hot plates included in the list have built-in safety features to keep users safe. Safety also includes quality products made from durable material.
Hot plates need to be adjustable, safe, and have enough power to get the job done, but there are various features and reasons the hot plates on this list were chosen. Therefore, if you are looking for a quality hot plate, then you don’t need to look any further than the hot plates on this list.
The 8 Best Hot Plates
There are quite a few hot plates on the market, but they are not all the same. Hot plates come in a variety of types, with different burners, power, and design. Because of this, it can be difficult to find the best one for you. This list is meant to show off a number of different hot plates and help you choose the best one for your needs.
Elite Gourmet Countertop Electric Hot Burner
The first hot plate on this list is the Elite Gourmet countertop electric hot burner, which is perfect for those looking for something inexpensive and compact. It is nine inches by nine inches and only has a height of a little over three inches, making it ideal for anyone who needs something they can travel with or put in limited storage space.
The hot plate has 1000-watts of cooking power, and it has four temperature settings, ranging from warm to high. The heating plate is cast-iron, so you get an easy-to-clean and reliable surface to cook on. You will also notice it has a few safety features to top everything off, having both non-skid rubber feet and a cool-touch base to prevent burns.
- It is compact and easy to store
- Has 1000-watts of cooking power
- Temperature can be adjusted easily
- The heating plate is cast-iron
- Has non-skid rubber feet and a cool-touch base
- Radiates a lot of heat
- It takes a while to heat up
The Duxtop product featured here is one of the more advanced hot plate options out there. It comes loaded with features and gives you everything you could want from a hot plate. To start, it is an induction cooktop, meaning it is safer than other burners since it does not release gas or have the potential to cause a fire. It’s even energy efficient.
This hot plate has 20 power levels, ranging from 100 to 2100 watts, and that also gives the cooktop 20 temperature levels. It also has a built-in timer, a child safety lock, and overheat protection. All of this can be accessed using the convenient buttons on the front of the hot plate. It can even be set to keep things warm for up to 30 minutes.
- Has 20 power and temperature levels
- Has a built-in timer and child safety lock
- It can keep things warm up to 30 minutes
- Safer than other types of hot plates
- Settings can be easily adjusted
- Not all cookware is induction compatible
- It is an expensive hot plate
- The induction surface is small
If you are looking for something larger that can handle a few things at a time, the Cuisinart cast-iron double burner is a great choice. It utilizes two heavy-duty cast-iron hot plates, making it easy to use and durable. Additionally, it has safety indicator lights that let you know when the burners are on and non-slip feet for stability.
The two burners have separate wattages, with the larger burner operating with 1300 watts and the smaller burner working with 500 watts. They also have individual temperature adjusters with six different settings. Moreover, the hot plate is designed to heat up quickly and retain heat well.
- Heavy-duty cast-iron construction
- Two burners with their own temperature adjusters
- Non-slip feet and “on” indicators for safety
- A total of 1800 watts of power
- The smaller burner is more for warming
This hot plate by CUSIMAX is a great example of something small and powerful. It has a 7.4-inch burner and comes in at around five and a half pounds. As for power, it operates on 1500 watts. That, along with its durable cast-iron heating plate and adjustable temperature control, makes it easy to get things cooked on this hot plate.
You also get a bevy of features that make this hot plate great. It has no noise, does not give off electromagnetic radiation, and has a thermal fuse for overheating protection. It even comes equipped with non-slip feet to increase safety and stability to another level. In addition, it works with almost all types of cookware.
- It comes in a compact size but remains powerful
- Powered by 1500 watts
- Has seven temperature settings
- Comes with multiple safety features
- You can use almost any cookware with it
- The base gets very hot at higher levels
- The knobs can get hot
This hot plate is different from the others in the sense that it is meant to warm instead of cook. It offers a 21-inch by 16-inch surface made of tempered glass that is perfect for holding a number of different dishes. With this hot plate, you can easily heat up food for yourself or keep food warm for a party or event. All of this is done with 400 watts.
Due to the tempered glass surface, you get a maximum surface area to work with, and the entire thing is a breeze to clean. The hot plate also has handles on the side so that you can move it easily. As for the temperature, it is controlled with the knob on the side and has three different settings. There is even an “on” indicator light for further safety.
- Has a large 21-inch by 16-inch surface area
- Made of high-quality black tempered glass
- Has cool-touch handles on the side
- Comes with three adjustable temperature settings
- Has non-slip feet and an “on” indicator for safety
- It does not get hot enough to cook with
- Does not heat up quickly
Another great double burner comes from Techwood. This infrared ceramic hot plate is versatile and loaded with features to make it both effective and convenient. While it is larger than most, coming in at around ten pounds and having dimensions of 21 inches by 7 inches, the two burners with 1300 watts and 500 watts respectively are worth it.
The infrared heating surface means you can use almost any cookware and get good results. You can also easily adjust the temperature to get a perfect cook using the knobs on the front. There is no need to worry about the heat, though. The handles stay cool for easy movement, and with non-slip pads, it only moves when you want it to.
- Has power indicator lights for safety
- Two burners with 1800 watts power total
- The infrared burners work with almost all cookware
- Utilizes non-slip pads and handles that stay cool
- It is easy to adjust the temperature
- The body is prone to becoming hot
- The secondary burner is more for warming
If you are looking for double burners with equal power, then CUSIMAX has what you need. Both of the burners on this hot plate use 900 watts, adding together for 1800 watts of heating power. It’s plenty to cook whatever you need it to, and both heating plates are equally effective and made with cast-iron for easy and reliable cooking.
This heating plate works with all types of cookware, and there is enough space to comfortably use both burners. You will also find that this hot plate cooks evenly across the burners, making it easy to get the perfect temperature alongside the temperature controls. Plus, after you finish cooking, this hot plate is easy to clean and store away.
- Both burners are powered by 900 watts
- It heats evenly on both burners
- Made using durable cast-iron and stainless steel
- Works with all types of cookware
- The body is prone to getting hot
- The max power is 900 watts
If you are looking for a hot plate that has everything you could ask for, then the iSiLER induction cooktop might just be it. This cooktop is advanced, having a number of features that can all be accessed using its touchscreen menu. The features include a timer, a child lock, and 18 temperature settings from 100 watts to 1800 watts.
The glass induction top is also safe compared to many other burner types, so you don’t have to worry about using it and causing a fire. Additionally, at around 12 inches by 14 inches, it is a relatively compact hot plate that you can use almost anywhere. The weight is only seven pounds as well.
- Produces a great amount of heat
- The heat can be adjusted easily
- It is a very safe hot plate
- Compact and lightweight
- Contains many features to make using it a breeze
- It makes a little noise during use
How to Shop for a Hot Plate
When shopping for a hot plate, there are numerous considerations. You might want to think about the reason you are purchasing it to start with since the way it is being used will affect what type of features you need it to have. Keep these things in mind when shopping for a hot plate:
- Size: How big do you want the hot plate to be? Are you looking for something compact for a dorm room or outing? Do you want a backup for when your stove goes on the fritz? You not only need to know how many burners you want but how much storage space you have and how much surface area you can spare.
- Power: If you just want something to reheat food, then you have a lot of options. You can get something with more surface area or less power. However, if you need to cook more or deal with higher temperatures, then you need something with more power, going for higher-wattage hot plates.
- Safety: Consider where you will be using it again. Is there a risk of fire? Do you have kids that might get near the hot plate? There are a lot of safety features out there, from child locks to different burners that won’t catch things on fire even if an accident happens. Therefore, consider what you need and look at features.
A lot of what makes a hot plate work is the amount of space you have to use for it. If you only have a little bit of space for the hot plate, then you need something compact. You might also want something safer if you do not have much room to work with and risk starting a fire. Whatever you need, there is a hot plate out there for you.
Hot plates can be incredibly useful, especially if you are looking for a convenient, mobile way to cook or heat food. There are also plenty of features that will let you find a hot plate that works perfectly for you. Therefore, take a close look at what each hot plate has to offer and get the one that’s perfect for you.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.