Pegboard walls are a great way to increase storage space and organize tools or other items. Due to the uniform holes, it can be very versatile as well, allowing you to arrange things in various ways. However, the classic way to hang things using pegboard walls is to use pegboard hooks, a simple tool that comes in a variety of useful sizes and styles.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top picks for the Best Pegboard Hooks of 2023:
- Neiko 53100A 4-Inch Pegboard Hooks
- Colorstorm J Hook Pegboard Hooks
- Dorman Hardware 4-9835 Coated Curved Cord
Criteria for Choosing the Pegboard Hooks
While the principle behind a pegboard hook is quite simple, the execution can vary based on a number of factors. Therefore, when looking for a great pegboard hook, you have to consider various things, such as whether it will fit snugly, remain stable, and hold the required weight. These are the things used to choose the top pegboard hooks:
- Diameter: There are two standard pegboard hole sizes, with both 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch pegboard hooks to go into them. However, the larger hole size can accommodate both diameters of pegboard hooks, so the article focuses on the top pegboard hooks without worrying too much about including different sizes.
- Durability: The materials used are important, but the construction and overall durability of the hooks are even more important. They are meant to attach in different ways and hold various weights, but none of that matters if they do not hold up. Bending and breaking are both considered when it comes to durability.
- Variety: Pegboard hooks are rather simple, but they can serve a variety of functions based on their style and length. Therefore, the article chose a number of different hooks to make it easier to find something that fits your needs.
Choosing great pegboard hooks is quite simple once you consider the above. The main concern with pegboard hooks is whether they will do the job right, fitting into the holes and properly holding whatever you put on them without falling out or becoming unstable. You want a stable fit, material that won’t break, and hooks perfect for your needs.
The Best Pegboard Hooks of 2023
There are a lot of pegboard hooks out there, from different brands to lengths and styles. There are even pegboard hooks meant for a single purpose, designed to do one job. This article includes a variety of different hooks that will showcase what all pegboard hooks can do and help you find the best pegboard hook to do the job you need it to do.
The first pegboard hooks on this list are made by Neiko, and they are about as basic as it gets. The good thing is that the hooks are universal, so they fit all pegboards with 1/4-inch pegboards with 1-inch spacing. They also have a basic shape, extending out 4 inches and slanting up to keep things in place. They are simplistic, but they get the job done.
These heavy-duty pegboard hooks are made of hardened steel and are thus reliable. They are also coated in nickel plating to resist rust and corrosion. The plating also increases their durability even further. These versatile pegboard hooks come in a set of 50, and since the design is perfect for multiple uses, you will surely find a place to use them.
- Made from heavy-duty steel
- Resistant to rust and corrosion
- Coated in nickel plating for increased durability
- Universal for 1/4-inch pegboards with 1-inch spacing
- The securing hook angle isn’t ideal
- Not the best for use with metallic pegboards
Instead of the L design of the previous hooks, these pegboard hooks utilize a J design. Their design might not give as much room as the longer hooks, but the curve makes them perfect for hanging things. They are also designed to fit snugly into 1/4-inch pegboard holes, eliminating any instability through their unique design.
These pegboard hooks do not use the same split barbs that many other hooks rely on, so they damage peg holes. They are also smooth, further reducing their impact on the pegboards they are used on. Additionally, these sturdy hooks are rounded at the tip to be as safe as possible. That being said, they are not great for very heavy objects.
- The J design is perfect for hanging things
- They are created to fit snugly into 1/4-inch pegboard holes
- Rounded safety tips eliminate any potential danger
- Strong and durable pegboard hooks
- Their design makes it hard for them to hold large objects
- They are made of plastic
This Dorman product is great because it provides a curved hook that can be used for a variety of purposes. The hook has two prongs that are looped and meant to hold shovels and other handled tools, but they can serve a variety of other purposes as well. Part of this is due to the angle and deep hook design that allows for easy hanging.
This pegboard hook can hold up to ten pounds, making it sturdy and reliable for a variety of tools and other objects. You can also rely on it because it is made with steel and coated in neoprene, keeping it from bending or becoming slippery. Whether you use a Dorman peg strip or a 1/4-inch pegboard, this hook will get the job done.
- Is made using steel and coated in neoprene
- Can hold up to ten pounds
- Fits a Dorman peg strip of 1/4-inch pegboard
- This hook is rather expensive compared to other hooks
- It is too narrow for some tools
Dorman makes quality pegboard hooks meant to hold a decent amount of weight stably, and the looped hook above is not the only choice available. This Dorman hook is longer than most, coming in at around seven inches, and it also has an L design that lets you rest all types of objects on it. You can even use it with any 1/4-inch pegboard.
Like the other Dorman products, the hook is made out of quality materials. It is made using steel and coated in neoprene, giving it strength enough to hold up to ten pounds and reliable durability. If you need something that can hold a larger tool, then Dorman is a great choice, though be aware that you are only getting one hook when you buy this.
- The length allows it to hold a variety of objects
- Designed to work with 1/4-inch pegboards
- Made out of steel and coated in neoprene
- Holds up to ten pounds
- It is a very expensive pegboard hook
- This pegboard hook is bulky
The Azar hook featured here is meant for both pegboards and slat walls, though it suits a 1/4-inch pegboard best. The length of these pegboard hooks is two inches, though Azar sells hooks from two inches to twelve. Additionally, they sell their hooks in counts of 50, meaning you are getting a lot of hooks for a great price.
These hooks are also durable, made entirely from metal, and galvanized to prevent rust and corrosion. You will find that the hooks stay nice and stable as well due to the well-angled prongs and great design. There is even a ball on the end of the hooks that helps prevent scratching and stops items from slipping off.
- Come in a variety of lengths
- Very stable pegboard hooks
- Made entirely of metal and galvanized
- Has an appealing metal ball at the end
- Fit both 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch pegboard holes
- Not suitable for anything heavy
These pegboard hooks made by Right Arrange are unique in the way they interact with a pegboard. They have two prongs like normal hooks, but instead of relying on peg locks or angled prongs, they rely on the unique design to expand in the holes and lock firmly into place.
These pegboard hooks are made out of stainless steel and are very durable, so you don’t have to worry about any snapping or breaking. They also fit an array of hole sizes, fitting snugly in either 1/8-inch or 1/4-inch pegboards.
- Unique design for a snug fit every time
- Fits in 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch pegboard holes
- Made out of stainless steel
- These pegboard hooks are quite short
These pegboard hooks are another example of great plastic hooks. They are strong and durable, capable of holding a good amount of weight without breaking or bending after extended use, and they lock into place easily due to the Flex-Lock design. You won’t have to worry about these hooks falling out or wiggling excessively.
These pegboard hooks are made to fit any standard pegboard, so you can use them across a range of different boards. Additionally, they have an L design, which makes it easy to place objects on top of them. The length of the hook is around two inches, making it great for hanging or setting most objects.
- Made using durable plastic
- Fits any standard pegboard
- The Flex-Lock design keeps them stable
The L design makes it easy to place things on them
- Not as reliable as metal hooks
- Can be difficult to remove once placed
If you are looking for the ultimate pegboard hook for strength and durability, then you’ve found it with National Mfg’s thick hooks. These curved hooks are not only made of high-quality metal, but they can hold plenty of weight.
The hooks also ensure a snug fit that will not wiggle or fall out. You can rest assured that once you place these hooks, they will not fail in any way. They are even corrosion and rust-resistant and fit any standard 1/4-inch pegboard holes.
- Stronger than most hooks
- Can hold a lot of weight
- They fit snugly into place
- Corrosion and rust-resistant
- Only fit 1/4-inch due to their snug fit
- Expensive hooks
How to Shop for Pegboard Hooks
Pegboard hooks have a variety of purposes, something mentioned various times in the article. However, that is what can make it difficult for shoppers. Since the hooks come in so many varieties, you have to make sure you are picking one that will do what you need it to. Keep these things in mind when shopping for pegboard hooks:
- Pegboard Type: If you already own a pegboard, you need to know what size holes it has. If the holes are smaller, then you won’t be able to put 1/4-inch pegboard hooks in, but if the holes are larger, you can put either diameter of pegboard hook in the holes.
- Materials: Some pegboard hooks are plastic, while others are metal. You might have a preference or want something that won’t bend or break depending on what is hung on it. Therefore, you need to consider what you plan on using it for and which material will work best for you.
- Weight Capacity: While the material used will impact weight capacity, there is a difference even among hooks of the same material type. It is important that the hooks you use are able to hold the amount of weight you plan on putting on them. If you pick the wrong hooks, you might face injury or broken items.
- Style: The article shows various pegboard hook styles, from basic L hooks and J hooks to more specialized designs. If you need longer pegboard hooks, an L hook will likely fit the bill, but there are plenty of style options to choose from when it comes to pegboard hooks.
The type of pegboard hook you buy will ultimately depend on what you plan on hanging from it. If you are looking for simple hooks meant for organization, then you might select something smaller and less durable, while those looking to hang tools will want the most durable hooks they can find. You might even pick a specialized hook.
When you are purchasing pegboard hooks, the most important thing is making sure they have a design and weight capacity that will allow them to hold up what you need them to. Fortunately, there are a variety of pegboard hooks out there, including different materials and designs. You should have no problem finding what you need.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.