People take their beards seriously. With so much hair, things can get itchy, tangled, dry, and altogether messy. Just like any hair, it needs to be taken care of, and an important part of that process is beard conditioner. Fortunately, there are a lot of beard conditioners out there, with a few different types as well.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the best beard conditioners:
- ZEUS Beard Conditioner Wash for Men
- Polished Gentleman Beard Growth and Thickening Conditioner
- ArtNaturals Natural Beard Deep Conditioner
Choosing the Best Beard Conditioners
There are a few things to consider when it comes to beard conditioners, and it is not just about their effectiveness. Certain things can hurt hair over time, and different people have different needs. Therefore, these things were considered when choosing the best beard conditioners:
- Type: There are two different types of beard conditioners, which are rinse-out and leave-in conditioners. Some need the additional protection of a leave-in conditioner, so an assortment of both have been included in the list.
- Natural Ingredients: While beard conditioners do not have to be all-natural, it is something important to consider since chemicals can damage hair. Therefore, the beard conditioners chosen focus on natural ingredients.
- Effectiveness: Effectiveness does not just mean how soft a conditioner can make your beard. It also means ensuring that it does not affect sensitive skin, that it lathers well or is easy to apply, and that it makes your beard as good as it can be.
- Scent: Whether you want strong scents or subtle scents, a nice-smelling product is necessary. After all, a beard is right below your nose. So, the scent is a major component, including scentless offerings.
Regardless of your individual needs, the list below includes effective, top-of-the-line products. So, no matter why you are looking for a beard conditioner, you can find the right one here.
The 10 Best Beard Conditioners
There are a lot of beard conditioners out there. If anything, it is a saturated market full of specialty brands and familiar names alike. Due to the number of products, it can be difficult to figure out which one will suit you most. However, with this list, you can skip some of the guesswork and get right to some great products.
The first beard conditioner on this list is made by Zeus, and it is an incredibly potent conditioner that comes in three different scents to deliver both effectiveness and a pleasant smell that will last all day.
The smell isn’t what makes this beard conditioner special, though. First of all, it is made using natural ingredients, and that includes the essential oils used for the scents. Therefore, nothing synthetic or harmful is getting anywhere near your beard. Those same ingredients also work to soften and moisturize any beard or mustache.
Zeus beard conditioner uses green tea to hydrate skin and hair, while aloe vera locks in the hydration. At the same time, avocado oil is used for elasticity and healing, and it works with jojoba oil to really improve the health of skin and hair alike.
- Natural ingredients
- Moisturizes and softens hair and skin alike
- Reduces itchiness
- Since it is a rinse-out conditioner, you might need beard oil
- Scents from essential oil might bother sensitive skin
Polished Gentleman’s conditioner is another incredible product that is made of organic products that are all sourced in the United States. More than that, it is designed to ensure optimal beard growth through a combination of ingredients meant to keep beards healthy and full.
Ingredients include manuka honey, biotin, eucalyptus, argan oil, tea tree oil, and rosemary. This blend works to make beards thicker, softer, and healthier. While there is nothing that can force a beard to grow, it works by moisturizing and giving your beard all the vitamins and minerals it needs to prosper.
Not only does this beard conditioner help you attain a softer and healthier beard, but it also detangles curly beards. What this means is an easier time combing and taming an unruly beard.
- Organic ingredients
- Meant to promote optimal beard growth
- Helps soften and detangling beard hair
- The scent leaves a little to be desired
- It is a rinse-out conditioner that might need complementary products
ArtNaturals has a beard conditioner that is incredibly effective. In fact, ArtNaturals makes a product meant for the most unruly of beards, boasting the ability to help tame thick and wiry hair. It is meant to give deep conditioning, making it easier to style any beard.
There are also ingredients to fight dandruff and itchiness, such as aloe vera and tea tree oil, both of which fight irritation. Argan oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, and quinoa protein are some of the other highly-effective ingredients. They renew and hydrate facial hair while promoting thickness and shine. There are even ingredients to combat hair loss.
- Great for thicker beards
- Helps fight dandruff and itchiness
- Promotes overall beard health
- Does not soften as well as competing products
- The scent is strong
- Not all ingredients are natural
Bossman’s conditioner starts off by offering four different scents and an unscented version of their product. Therefore, with those particular about the scent they use, this brand gives you options.
Additionally, the ingredients are all organic and center around natural oils, mango butter, and other natural offerings that help to hydrate and take care of hair and pores alike. The same is true of the scents, which come from natural ingredients. The magic scent, for example, is a mixture of oils that gives a sandalwood and vanilla scent.
Furthermore, the product can be used with their other products to help anyone get the beard they want and deserve.
- Has a variety of scents
- Natural ingredients
- Helps soften hair and leads to a healthier beard
- The scents can be strong
- The amount is small for the price
This brand is targeted towards every beard type, working well with sensitive skin and rough, dry hair. Its formula cleans and hydrates hair while also helping remove dirt build-up from your beard and face.
The main goals of this conditioner are softening hair and giving it more of a shine, and it works tremendously well. Hair that is dry or frizzy will be tamed and hydrated, and it is also helpful against irritation and itchiness caused that causes dandruff.
- Works well for sensitive skin and more difficult to manage beards
- Leads to a much softer and shinier beard
- Fights dandruff and itchiness
- Potent scent
- Not all ingredients are natural
Honest Amish is the first brand on the list that is a leave-in conditioner. Unlike the previous mentions, this balm is meant to be put in a beard and left to stay, which makes it an effective product for those with particularly stubborn, dry beards. It also eliminates the need for beard oil after conditioning.
Like many of the best products, it is made of all-natural ingredients that promote beard health. Honest Amish’s product moisturizes your beard, makes the hair softer and easier to manage. It also comes with a pleasant, masculine scent that starts off strong but becomes more subtle after application.
On top of that, this conditioner is a balm, meaning it can help you style your beard to an extent. While it doesn’t hold as well as wax, there is a lot you can do with this single product.
- Great for softening beard hair
- Stays in the beard to protect against dryness
- Fights dandruff
- The scent is strong and stays in the beard
- Smaller amount for the money when compared to other brands
As another leave-in conditioner, Smooth Viking is the perfect product for those looking for long-lasting dryness protection. However, it not only provides benefits to the beard but to the skin below. Using organic ingredients, including several oils, it helps to hydrate skin and hair alike without causing itchiness.
While it nourishes and helps beards grow softer and stronger, it also allows you to style your beard. It is not a wax, but it holds well and allows for all-day styling that makes it a versatile product. It even has a nice, subtle smell that does not overpower the senses.
- Perfect for helping hydrate and soften beards
- Helps promote skin and beard health
- Works well on sensitive skin
- Allows styling
- Consistency isn’t the best
- Small amount for the money
- Can be difficult to spread properly
Rugged Roots has a variety of offerings, but their orange cedarwood beard balm is an incredible product for those looking for a beard conditioner. Not only does it have a delightful, subtle scent, but it is a natural product that helps give you a healthier, softer beard.
Rugged Roots targets the entire beard, going from the roots to the tips. Using a mix of natural ingredients, the beard balm moisturizes and nourishes hair, promoting stronger and thicker hair by ensuring it has everything it needs. It even does it all without leaving any residue or being too greasy.
- Subtle scent that will not overbear
- Natural ingredients
- Softens and strengthens beard hair
- It goes bad relatively quickly if not used
- High price per ounce
Like other balms, the Mountaineer Brand conditioner is meant for all-day use. It is a leave-in conditioner that allows some styling and protects a beard from dryness around the clock. It even moisturizes the skin under the beard, helping to fight against itch and dandruff.
Magic Beard Balm comes in five different scents, each of which is made from natural ingredients that work to repair and soften damaged hair. Moreover, it is meant for beards of any length and thickness, making it ideal for anyone looking to add some conditioner to their routine.
- All-day nourishment
- Fights itch and dandruff
- Comes in a variety of scents
- Helps with softness and overall beard health
- For people who prefer scentless or subtle scents, this is not the brand
King C. Gillette makes a quality product. Moreover, they offer a product that can be left in or rinsed off, meaning you can choose how much nourishment your beard needs and how long you want the scent to stick around.
One thing that sets this brand apart is its lightweight quality. Wax balms can be difficult to use, especially when spreading it through a beard, but this conditioner is easy to apply. The cocoa butter, shea butter, and argan oil help this process, and the other ingredients take care of the rest.
As a softener, this brand is fantastic, though it does have a strong, slightly old-fashioned scent.
- Great softener and conditioner
- Versatile product that can also be used to style a beard
- Lightweight product that is easy to apply
- The scent is not for everyone
- Not all ingredients are natural
How to Shop for Beard Conditioners
Shopping for a beard conditioner depends on a few key things, but it is not difficult once you know what you want. Start by knowing your beard and what it needs. Then, consider these things when choosing a beard conditioner:
- Consider Problem Areas: As stated above, know your beard. Is it dry? If so, you want a beard focused on hydration. If there is dandruff or itchy, irritated skin, you can focus on finding something to combat those issues. If you just want softness or scent, then choose according to your personal preference.
- Consider How Long You Want to Keep It In: Leave-in conditioners are an entirely different beast compared to rinse-out conditioners. They both promote softness and beard health, but leave-in conditioners have far more time to nourish and protect a beard. For those with really unruly beards, a leave-in conditioner is probably the place to look.
- Consider Your Beard Length: Short beards are easy to manage with, either. However, for longer beards, a rinse-out solution might not be as effective. You want to make sure the product works for you.
Most beard conditioners aim to achieve the same things. However, their effectiveness varies, especially when it comes to longer or thicker beards. Look at what they each focus on and decide from there.
To those that grow them, beards are important, and keeping them at their best is a constant struggle. Therefore, a good beard conditioner is something they cannot be without. Fortunately, there are plenty of options for any type of beard. So, if you think you need a beard conditioner, think about your beard, look at the list, and go for it.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.