Your beard has finally grown beyond the training phase – it’s big and burly now. Unfortunately, it’s also becoming a tangled mess. If only beards were as easy to tame as the hair on your head – a quick brush, a little product, and you’re done. Well, there’s good news. A beard straightener can do just that.
Beard straighteners come in all kinds. You’ll find battery-powered options, plugin-in models, and even butters and creams that promise to tame the tangle. How do you choose which is right for you? We’ve scoured the reviews, compared the choices, and come up with a list of the 10 best beard straighteners for 2022.
What to Look for in a Good Beard Straightener
Straightening beard hair is not the same as straightening head hair. Sadly, a lot of manufacturers seem to have missed the memo. A lot of what you’ll find on the market today are models originally designed for head hair with a heating element slapped on during the rebrand. Can you use those? Sure! Will they work well? Probably not.
So, what should you look for in a beard straightener? Here’s a quick rundown:
- Purpose Designed – First, make sure that the beard straightener was originally designed for use on facial hair and isn’t just a rebranded head hair tool. Trust us, it matters a lot.
- Sized for Your Beard – Another important thing to understand is that there’s no one-size-fits-all answer here. What works on your beard might be overkill for someone else. What works on another beard might be too small for another man’s face beard. Make sure that the beard straightener you’re considering is sized proportionately to your beard’s length and thickness.
- Watch the Heat – Most of the beard straighteners on the market today use heat to some degree or another. That’s fine; heat can help. The problem is that too much heat will damage your beard hair. Look for a beard straightener that offers adjustable heat output or that remains around 385 degrees F. Beyond that point, heat will begin damaging your hair.
How They Made the Cut
We admit there was some degree of subjectivity when it came to making our list. First, we tossed out all the product-type straighteners. You won’t find a single application-type product on our list, so if you’re more interested in beard butter or cream, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Second, we only included straighteners with proven, real-world performance. Every model on our list has been tried and tested on some of the burliest beards on the planet. They all do the trick, so no matter which one you choose, you know you’re getting something that will help you tame that face bear.
Finally, we went beyond pure performance and looked at things like ergonomics, ease of use, and portability. After all, what’s the point of buying something that works great, but is so bulky it doesn’t fit in your bag? Why bother spending money on a beard straightener that’s so heavy to use that taming your beard becomes part of your workout regimen? No one needs that kind of problem.
The result of our efforts is a list of the 10 best beard straighteners on the market that offer outstanding performance, ease of use, and lightweight construction.
Types of Beard Straighteners
A quick look at your local big box store will show you a bewildering array of beard straighteners. There are long ones, short ones, round ones, rectangular ones – what’s with the diversity of types? Actually, there are only a few types. The rest is all window dressing. Let’s break it down for you:
- Hair Drying Brushes – These are brush-style straighteners that combine the functionality of a hairdryer. They blow hot air into your beard while you’re straightening it. You’ll find paddle style, round, and other shapes in this category, but most options are round.
- Heated Brushes – Heated brushes do just what it sounds like; they use an internal heating element to heat the bristles, allowing you to straighten your beard without blowing hot air into it. Again, you’ll find flat, round, and other shapes in this category.
- Combs – There are relatively few comb-style straighteners out there, but they work very well, particularly for shorter beards.
- Flat Irons – Flat irons are primarily designed for head hair, and while you’ll find many of them packaged as “beard straighteners”, they are not what you need to be looking for.
Beard Straightener Terms to Know
In addition to the types of straighteners on the market, you should also be familiar with a few terms so that you can make an informed purchase.
- Infrared, Porcelain, Ceramic – These discuss construction material, heating element technology, and more, but what they really mean is that the product gives you even heating across the entire straightener. No hotspots mean a better straightening experience.
- Ionic – You will find a lot of different straighteners out there branded with ionic this and ionic that. What does it mean? Really, it means that the straightener emits negative ions during operation that help speed up drying time by interacting with the positive ions in the water soaking into your beard hair. The longer your beard is wet, the more chance it has to curl, so ionic technology can help reduce face bear frizz.
- Tourmaline – Tourmaline ups the ante in terms of negative ion production, meaning that these models evaporate water from your beard even faster than other options.
Our List of the 10 Best Beard Straighteners
By now, you should have a better understanding of the technology behind beard straighteners, as well as the various shapes and sizes on the market. So, let’s jump right into our list of the 10 best beard straighteners for 2022.
1. Kuschelbär Cordless
One of the more expensive options on our list, the Kuschelbär Cordless is also a sleek yet powerful device capable of taming most beards. However, its slim design and short bristles make it an ideal option for those with smaller or thinner beards. Plus, it’s cordless, so you don’t have to worry about getting tangled up or even finding an outlet first thing in the morning. The USB charger means you can charge anywhere, even from your laptop, and it has three temperature settings (360, 380, and 400 degrees F). The tip of the device gets very warm and is designed for smoothing your mustache, too. Best of all, a single charge gives you 40 minutes of high-temp straightening.
2. Iston Beard Straightener
This is a classic hairbrush shape, and the Iston beard straightener delivers super-fast heating (30-40 seconds). It’s a heated brush style straightener, rather than a blow-dryer style, and it provides manual temperature adjustment between 302 degrees F to 374 degrees F. The handy LED display lets you see exactly what the temperature is at all times, and there’s a safety shutoff feature for protection. This straightener uses ceramic and negative ion technology to help dry your hair faster and more evenly. It’s also compact enough to be easily portable.
3. Tame the Wild Ionic Hair and Beard Straightener
With all the temperature adjustability you want (12 settings) and a bright LED display, combined with a compact form factor and a surprisingly wide head, this beard straightener is a worthy contender. Tame’s offering a heated brush model that uses ceramic technology for even heating and an ionic generator to dry your beard fast. The auto shutoff feature turns the device off after 30 minutes for safety, too. Note that this model is best for beards over two inches long.
4. CNXUS Ionic Straightener
One of the few head and beard hair straighteners we’ve included on our list, the CNXUS model offers ionic technology to dry your hair quickly, plus a digitally adjustable heater to suit your hair type and thickness. Note that this is not a hair dryer-style model, but a heated brush. It also features hair guides and an anti-scald design ideal for longer beards, as well as a 30-minute auto-shutoff feature for safety.
5. Arkam Deluxe Beard Straightener
This is more than just a beard straightener – it’s a full set of beard care tools packaged in a handy travel case. It comes with the case, a premium wooden beard comb, plus Arkam’s well-designed straightener. The straightener uses ionic technology, as well as a variable heat gauge to help reduce the number of strokes you need to straighten your beard. It also provides a large LED display so you can read the temperature, as well as manual controls so you can dial in the perfect heat level for your beard.
6. Andis 38300 Professional Comb
You’ll find that this option from Andis differs a lot from the others we’ve included. First, it’s not specifically designed for beards, but don’t let that fool you. It’s a top performer. Second, it’s a comb-style design rather than a brush. It can reach 450 degrees in just seconds, offers manual temperature controls, offers an auto-shutoff feature, and has a swivel cord design to reduce tangling.
7. Crayzor Beard Straightener
This option from Crayzor calls itself a comb, but it’s really a narrow brush. That makes it well suited for travel, as well as for use on shorter, finer beards. However, it’s capable of tackling the burliest face bears out there, too. The LED screen is easy to read, and you get five temperature presets to suit your beard’s coarseness.
8. MANNVLO Beard Straightener
Another minimalist brush style straightener, this option from MANNVLO is very similar to Crayzor’s offering. You get an easy-to-read LED, multiple temperature presents (six instead of five), and an auto shutoff feature. This is best for beards over two inches long, and it comes with a 24-month warranty, which is a nice addition.
9. InfinifiPro by Conair: Budget Pick
Looking for a no-frills, budget option? The InfinitiPro by Conair is a great choice. It’s also the only hot-air model we’ve included on the list. It offers basic functionality (off, low, high, and cool), but includes some of the most in-demand features you will want, including ionic technology to reduce frizzing. The bristles are made from heat-activated silicon to give your beard a little shine, and the form factor is designed to help detangle longer hair while drying.
10. Aberlite Go: Best Overall
Finally, we come to the Aberlite Go, which is one of the most popular beard straighteners on our list. It’s super compact so it will travel well, and it offers three temperature presets – 310, 360, and 400 degrees F. This is a cordless beard straightener, as all you need to do is charge it and go – never worry about tangled cords again. The battery can be charged using the included USB C charger, and the brush uses unique PTC technology to maintain consistent heating and maximum straightening. The bristles and scald guard are designed to get close to the roots of your beard hair without causing pain or discomfort, too. This is also the only beard straightener on our list designed to handle beards as short as just one inch (although it can tackle the burliest beards with ease).
Tips to Use Your Beard Straightener
No matter which of the 10 best beard straighteners you choose, you’ll need to know how to use it. Thankfully, it’s not rocket science. We’ve listed out a few pointers to get you started with ease:
- Dry your beard manually first. No sopping wet beards, please!
- If you use a beard oil or balm, apply it first. Don’t use products? No worries, jump to the next step.
- Fluff your beard with a beard comb to remove kinks and tangles (optional).
- Turn on the brush, choose your temperature, and let it warm.
- Start from the top of the beard and brush downward, using short, smooth strokes.
- Don’t let the brush rest in place.
- For longer beards, you may need to get under the beard and brush outward to remove tangles.
- Use a beard comb to shape the beard after it is straight (optional).
Here’s to a Straighter, More Stylish Beard!
No matter which of the 10 best beard straighteners you choose, you’ll be able to sculpt a smooth, stylish beard. From lumberjack-style beards to ultra-sleek ones, the right straightener is the key to creating the look you want.
Other Products You May Need to Tame Your Beard
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.