Business owners work hard to get noticed. Search engine optimization (SEO) tools can ensure that your web content shows up in your customers’ search results.
Semrush has long been regarded as best-in-class SEO software, though it only provides data for the Google search engine, which is a significant limitation given its elevated price point. If you’re looking for a Semrush alternative, consider one of the following.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our quick picks for the Best Semrush Alternatives of 2023:
When it comes to sheer data, not many SEO tools or Semrush alternatives rival Ahrefs.
You can check your keyword ranking for the top 100 searches, but where Ahrefs really shines is its ability to manage backlinks. A backlink can boost your site’s authority in the “eyes” of search engines, which can boost your search engine (SE) ranking.
Ahrefs offers a backlink checker that helps you manage these backlinks so you can stay on top of what’s working — and what’s not.
To give Ahrefs a try, you can sign up for a seven-day trial for only $7. After that, you can select from a tiered pricing system, though you get two months free if you purchase an annual package.
- Provides a powerful backlink checker
- Checks keyword ranking across 100 searches
- Large amounts of data
- Too much data can overwhelm new users
- No free trial
- Individual plans are less affordable than competitors
Moz Pro is one of the best Semrush alternatives for those still learning the ins and outs of SEO. The tool offers all the features you’d want from an SEO platform, including:
- Keyword research
- Content management
- Link tracking
- Rank tracking
- Link management
- Competitive analysis
Moz Pro also offers site audit tools that can help you give your site a check-up to see how your content is performing.
The user-friendly interface and tools are great for beginners, though even SEO experts and companies can benefit from one of Moz’s tiered plans. The “medium” plan offers a free trial, and you’ll also receive a 20% discount by paying annually.
- Comprehensive suite of SEO tools
- Simple user interface can aid in learning
- Competitive pricing
- Other SEO tools offer greater detail and customized reports. Here are some alternatives to Moz.
- Higher pricing plans add greater capacity without many new features
- Not all users will find the interface intuitive
Google Search Console is a free yet powerful service that allows you to monitor your site’s performance in Google search results.
When it was first launched, the Google Search Console only offered a max of three months of data. Today, users can access 12–16 months of website data, including features that help with:
- Search performance
- Index coverage status
- AMP status
- Sightmaps reports
These features are surprisingly robust for a free SEO tool. And while it only monitors performance through Google, that’s really no different from what Semrush currently offers.
- Free forever
- Advanced features
- Access to 12–16 months of website data
- Limited to performance on the Google search engine
- May lack the level of detail of paid alternatives
- Limited automation, which can make it more time-consuming
- Keyword research
- Keyword rank tracker
- SERP rank checker
- Backlink checker
- Social media tracking
- Site auditor
- Competitor domain research tools
- Marketing reports
This comprehensive set of features makes this a powerful — and flexible — SEO tool that can adapt to growing companies.
Raven Tools also boasts an affordable tiered pricing system, with plans as low as $79 and a 30% discount for annual payments. All plans offer a free trial, giving you seven days of access to the platform’s features.
- Comprehensive suite of SEO tools
- Flexible options for freelancers or businesses
- Provides tools for competitor analysis
- Doesn’t offer long-term analysis
- Provides a range of services without any particular specialty
- Not ideal for tracking your web performance over time
5. SpyFu (Best for Competitive Analysis)
SpyFu comes equipped with a powerful suite of SEO features, with location-based analytics ideal for enterprise or multi-site businesses.
However, its real advantages come from its competitive analysis capabilities. SpyFu provides detailed insight into your competitors’ SEO strategy, even showing you organic search rankings, paid search campaigns, and other important data.
This data can be invaluable for larger companies seeking a competitive edge in a crowded marketplace. It may also be useful for small to midsize businesses seeking to learn new strategies from other industry leaders.
That said, SpyFu may remain best suited for larger enterprises. While pricing plans start as low as $39 monthly, a team plan can cost up to $299 per month, with discounts available for annual subscribers.
- Powerful tools for competitive analysis
- Advanced geographic data for enterprise or multi-site entities
- Collaborative tools for larger enterprises
- May be expensive for small to midsize companies
- Not all companies benefit from detailed competitive analysis
- Other tools offer greater focus on your own company’s data
SEO Powersuite is easily the best SEO platform for those who want to avoid the cost of Semrush and its competitors. SEO Powersuite segments its features into four different suites, allowing businesses to perform such tasks as:
- Carrying out website audits
- Monitoring backlinks
- Tracking rankings automatically
- Researching keywords
- Removing negative links
Keep in mind that while SEO Powersuite is free, it requires a paid license to use the program on multiple computers. Professional and enterprise subscriptions are only $299 and $499 for the year, which still places the platform among the most affordable Semrush alternatives.
What’s more, the higher pricing tiers offer additional features, including the option to save projects, which can make the paid version an attractive option once you outgrow the free plan.
- Free plan (for a single computer)
- Robust set of SEO tools
- Simple user interface that makes it easy to learn
- Free plan unavailable for multiple computers
- Advanced features only available at higher pricing plans
- Reporting features can be time-consuming
UberSuggest provides the same keyword research Semrush offers. As such, it can be a powerful tool for suggesting keywords that improve your page rankings. The program also offers features that assist with recovering backlinks and can be used to reverse-engineer competitive links.
It’s also affordable, starting at $29 per month and $290 annually. These prices make it a lower-cost Semrush alternative.
- Strong focus on keyword research
- Affordable pricing plans
- Features that help in managing backlinks
- Lacks the robust features of competing plans
- Base plan has a low competitor limit
- Can be slow to generate reports
Start Your Free Trial
Each of these tools offers features that can help freelancers and business owners of any size. But you’ll also have to find the product whose strengths and features most closely align with your needs.
While the above list offers some great Semrush alternatives to try, you might not need to reinvent the wheel. Grit Daily is proud to partner with Semrush, a platform with many robust features to help startups launch and scale their operations. Start your 14-day free trial today and discover what Semrush can do for your business.
Other Products You May Need
- 5 Must-Have Digital Marketing Tools for Startups
- 5 Affordable Tools to Help Lean Startups Succeed
- 5 Best Affiliate Advertising Networks for Publishers
- 4 Software Tools Solopreneurs Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.