VGA cables are no longer the standard for video connectors, but they are still a great option if you need to connect a monitor to your device. In fact, in some situations, such as with older devices, they might be the best option. However, regardless of whether your device needs a VGA or you simply prefer it, there are plenty of them out there.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best VGA Cables of 2021
- Amazon Basics VGA to VGA PC Computer Monitor Cable – 6 Feet
- SHD VGA to VGA HD15 Monitor Cable for PC Laptop TV Projector
- Capshi VGA to VGA Cable
Criteria for Choosing the Best VGA Cables
Firstly, all of the VGA cables on this list are those that are meant to connect VGA to VGA. While there are plenty of cables that connect VGA to another type of port, such as VGA to HDMI, only basic VGA cables are included here. With that being the case, these were the things that were considered when selecting the VGA cables on this list:
- Resolution: Not all VGA cables can support a high-resolution, but with so many high-quality cables out there, there is no reason not to pick one that can. Therefore, only cables that can support higher resolutions were chosen to be on this list.
- Signal Transmission: Signal transmission and stability are very important when it comes to VGA cables. In fact, the longer the cable, the more important this becomes since the signal can degrade.
- Durability: Durability is important for cables, especially if they will be exposed to feet or heavy objects. However, even if that is not the case, you want a cable that can be bent and moved as needed.
- Design: The overall design is very important. It affects the things listed above, especially signal reliability and durability. Moreover, something as simple as the securing screws can make the difference between a good product and a troublesome one.
When selecting the best VGA cables, all of these things are important. While not every VGA cable excels at all of these things, those on this list are meant to accomplish as much as possible, providing a high-quality cable that will not let you down.
The 8 of Best Best VGA Cables of 2021
There are a lot of VGA cables on the market from a variety of brands, but they are not all created equal, with a number of cables not performing well. Therefore, it is important that you choose the brand and cable carefully, which is something that this list can help you do.
Amazon Basics delivers products that skip the frills and get right to business, and for a VGA to VGA cable, you do not need much else. This VGA cable is a male-to-male connector, which means that it is meant to directly connect two devices with female connection ports. For most uses, this is exactly what you will need to make things work.
While this is a basic product, there is no skimping here. The materials used are sturdy and reliable, so you don’t have to worry about bending or an unsteady connection. Moreover, the securing screws are of good length and easy to tighten, making setup a breeze. You can even order cables that are 6, 10, and 15 feet.
- It is a high-quality cable made from good materials
- The securing screws are easy to use and reliable
- It comes in three different lengths
- It utilizes gold-plated connectors
- The securing screws can be difficult to use in cramped spaces
- The cable is quite stiff and difficult to bend
- There are cables out there that give better image quality
Another great choice comes from SHD, whose VGA to VGA cables have some of the highest ratings out there. It is not without reason, either, with SHD using gold-plated connectors for optimal connectivity. They also use copper conductors and a PVC jacket, making their product durable and long-lasting. There is even aluminum foil shielding.
The quality of this VGA to VGA cable is high, and since it is a male-to-male connector, you can use it with most of the common devices. Moreover, it delivers great resolution and a sturdy connection. Also, while the cable featured here is only three feet, there are many length options available, going all the way up to 65 feet.
- It utilizes high-quality materials
- It works with most of the common devices
- The resolution and image quality are fantastic
- There are a variety of length options
- There have been a few quality control issues
The Capshi VGA to VGA cable stands out from the rest due to how much care went into making it durable. It starts with the aluminum shell and the unique connector design, ensuring that external damage and bending do not happen easily. Moreover, the cable is made out of a reinforced nylon braid that increases signal stability and durability.
This cable has plenty more to offer as well, including an advanced chip and a gold-plated interface. Due to the materials used, it is corrosion-resistant and reliable. These Capshi cables can be purchased in lengths of three, six, and ten inches. Plus, regardless of the length, the nylon braid ensures that the cable is not too stiff.
- The aluminum shell prevents external damage
- The unique connector design prevents bending
- It utilizes a durable reinforced nylon braid
- It keeps signals stable
- The cable is easy to work with
- The small design can make tightening the securing screws tough
Another solid choice for VGA to VGA cables with male-to-male connectors comes from Rankie, whose attention to detail makes their cables stand out. First off, their securing screws are easy to use, which is a definite plus. Moreover, they utilize a double magnetic loop to reduce signal loss and ensure a high-resolution picture.
The Rankie cable also employs multiple layers of shields to further improve the stability of signal transmission. You will not be disappointed with the durability, either. In addition to the cords being fantastic choices for those wanting something reliable, they also come at a competitive price and can be purchased in lengths of 6, 10, and 15 feet.
- The securing screws are easy to use
- There are multiple features meant to increase signal stability
- The durability makes it a reliable choice
- Some people have found the cable’s length to be short
- The image quality suffers if the cable is stretched too far
StarTech is a brand that makes some really great products, and their VGA cable is no exception. Not only does it look sleek, but the design and materials are exceptional. Firstly, they utilize a ferrite core to eliminate interference. Then, with triple-coaxial and twisted-pair wire, they ensure a crystal clear display that is hard to match.
The StarTech VGA cable works great with high-resolution monitors, which is no surprise given the design and materials. However, what makes StarTech a great choice is how large of a variety they have. In fact, they sell a range of cables that starts at one foot and reaches 100 feet. It makes finding the right length easy.
- The cable has a sleek look
- The materials used are high-quality
- The ferrite core eliminates interference
- It works great for high-resolution monitors
- There are a lot of length options available
- The cable is known to be stiff
- It does not have exceptional durability
While traditional cable is fine for most situations, there are plenty of times when a flat cable is more suitable, such as when you need to run cable under a carpet or along a wall. The DTECH ultra-thin flat VGA cable is one of the best flat VGA cables out there, and although the main draw is the style, it comes with everything else you want as well.
Compared to round cables, this cable does not disappoint, coming with gold-plated connectors and 100% bare copper conductors. There is also significant shielding, such as foil and copper braiding. Therefore, you will not only find it easy to organize, but you do not have to worry about signal strength or stability. It even reaches 1080P resolution.
- The flat cable makes organizing your space a breeze
- It keeps a steady and strong signal
- The resolution reaches 1080P
- You can select lengths between 6 and 100 feet
- The materials are not of the highest quality
- The securing screws do not have the best alignment
While the most common VGA to VGA cable is a male-to-male model, there are some male-to-female cables out there. StarTech makes one such cable, and its intention is to serve as an extension cable. In fact, it comes with coupler nuts for the female connector, allowing for a firm connection to be made with your other cable.
StarTech’s cable is also high-quality, including things like molded connector ends with strain relief. This cable is meant for high-resolution monitors as well, so you can expect a clear picture. Plus, since these extension cables come in various lengths between 3 and 200 feet, you will have no problem finding the perfect size for your needs.
- The male-to-female design allows it to serve as an extension cable
- It comes with coupler nuts to secure it to your other cable
- The cable is high-quality and will not affect performance
- There are numerous lengths available
- It only has 14 pins
- It is a bit expensive compared to other VGA cables
Cable Matters is another brand that makes a great extension cable. They only sell extenders that are six and ten feet long, but their extenders have built-in hex nuts on the female connector, making it easy to secure it to your existing VGA cable. Plus, it keeps the resolution high by supporting resolutions up to Full HD 1080P.
The construction is exactly what you want in a VGA cable as well, starting from the gold-plated connectors and molded stress relief. Moreover, aside from integrated dual ferrite cores, this cable features bare copper conductors and foil and braid shielding to ensure a reliable signal. They really skipped on nothing to ensure stability and quality.
- The built-in hex nuts are incredibly convenient
- It supports Full HD 1080P resolution
- This extension cable has everything standard VGA cables should have
- There is a lack of length options
- It is not the most physically durable cable
How to Shop for a Best VGA Cable
When it comes to shopping for VGA cables, there is more to think about than you might expect. After all, small things, such as ferrite cores, can affect the quality of the cable you are getting. To ensure that you get a cable that will work for you, consider these things:
- Connector Genders: While most people will need male-to-male connectors, that is not always the case. One example is the extension cables, which have a male-to-female setup. Moreover, not all devices are the same gender. Make sure you are buying the proper cable for your devices.
- Length: While extenders can always help in a pinch, it is best to buy the proper length from the start. Of course, the longer the length, the higher the need for a high-quality cable that prevents degradation.
- Resolution: There are various VGA cables out there, and not all of them work well with high-resolution monitors. Therefore, when shopping for your cable, make sure it can deliver the resolution you want it to.
- Durability: Some cables are more durable than others, but how important durability is depends on how you plan on using a cable. If your cable will be protected and rarely experience any movement or trauma, you do not have to worry as much. However, if the opposite is true, find something durable.
There are a lot of little details you can look at when shopping for a VGA cable, such as whether it utilizes ferrite cores, what type of shielding is employed, and whether gold-plated connectors are used. However, in the end, which VGA cable you buy depends on what is important to you.
VGA to VGA cables can be a great choice for connecting a device to a monitor, even if they are no longer the standard choice. Moreover, with their focus on video, they are an inexpensive option. Just make sure that you get one that is compatible with your devices and suits your needs.
Other Products You May Need
- Best Outdoor Wifi Extender – Updated for 2021
- Best Webcam for Streaming in 2021
- Best Wireless Headphones Updated for 2020
- The 8 Best Cat8 Ethernet Cable Choices for 2021
- Cat 6 Ethernet Cable
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.