Butter is an ingredient that everyone uses in the kitchen at some point, whether it is being used as an ingredient for a recipe or slathered on some toast. A butter dish allows the butter to be ready at a moment’s notice, keeping a stick or so at room temperature and easily spreadable. However, not every butter dish is the same.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top picks for the best butter dishes:
Selecting a Great Butter Dish
A butter dish is not a complicated item. In its simplest form, a butter dish only needs to hold some butter, meaning that almost anything capable of storing butter can do the job. However, there are some things that make a great butter dish stand out, including the shape and certain features. Some of what makes a great butter dish include:
- Design: A great butter dish needs to be designed properly. It needs to hold the normal sticks of butter that you find in every grocery store, and it needs to do so without making a mess. Therefore, a good butter dish needs to have the proper dimensions to ensure everything fits.
- Materials: Butter dishes come in all sorts of forms, but the materials used to make them matter. Whether it is strong plastic or a type of ceramic, butter dishes need to be made of food-grade materials.
There are other things that make a butter dish stand out, but as long as the design and materials are fine, the rest is just a bonus. After all, a butter dish has a very simple job, which is to store butter.
The 9 Best Butter Dishes
The following butter dishes are some of the best on the market. They all have a design that makes them work as butter dishes and are made of materials that won’t cause you any harm. Additionally, most of them have a certain design or feature that makes them stand out, whether they are classic and elegant or designed for convenience and travel.
Butter Hub Butter Dish
The Butter Hub butter dish is a perfect example of how little things can make all the difference. While it might look simple, the features on this butter dish include a magnetic lid that allows you to keep the knife with the butter dish easily. The lid even has extended feet that help you keep the butter from getting everywhere while using this dish.
This butter dish also has a ramp and edge on each side that is designed to make it easy to scoop out butter, avoiding any mess that might occur otherwise. Additionally, it is made out of plastic and can be placed in the dishwasher without a problem. There are even a variety of colors to choose from, so you can get one that fits your kitchen.
- Magnetic lid
- Extended feet on the lid
- Side ramps for easy scooping
- Dishwasher safe
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Knife is not suited for hard, refrigerated butter
- The design is rather simple and unimpressive
AISBUGUR Large Butter Dish with Knife
While you might consider a single-stick dish as the traditional look, butter dishes come in many shapes and sizes. This butter dish is perfect in that it holds multiple sticks, holding at least two sticks of regular butter. Not only does it hold more butter, but the overall design reduces the mess that will be made when storing or scooping butter.
This butter dish is made with high-quality materials. The container is made of dishwasher-safe ceramic, while the lid is made from bamboo and has a double-layer silicone seal. Even the included knife that can be stored in the slot on top is stainless steel. Not only will it keep what is inside fresh, but this butter dish will last a long time.
- High-quality materials
- Lid contains a slot for the butter knife
- Can hold multiple sticks of butter
- The container is dishwasher safe
- Sealed with a double-layer of silicone
- The bamboo lid is not dishwasher safe
- Poor handle on the included butter knife
DOWAN Butter Dish with Knife
DOWAN makes great butter dishes, and this one is a fine addition to any kitchen. This butter dish can be considered a classic, having a familiar design. However, it stands out in many ways, such as the fact that there are lines for measuring the butter easily. There are even lines for both East and West Coast butter, which are different sizes.
You can also purchase a small and large version of this butter dish, depending on what size piece of butter you normally purchase. Additionally, this butter dish comes with side handles and one on the top for easy carrying and gripping. There is even a wooden groove and butter knife to make cutting butter a breeze.
- Has handles on the top and side
- Great for any type of butter
- Scale lines make measuring easy
- Acacia wood groove and butter knife
- Not dishwasher safe
- Knife not suitable for cold, hard butter
OXO Good Grips Butter Dish
The OXO butter dish comes in various forms. The basic is a mix of a white base and clear cover, which also comes in a wide version. However, it can also be purchased with a stainless steel base. Regardless, you get a fantastic butter dish. Just for starters, the clear lid rests perfectly on the dish, not sliding or falling off easily, even when moved.
The butter dish also features side stoppers that prevent the butter from moving while you cut it. There are even markings on the bottom of the dish that let you get proper measurements without having to keep the wrapper on the butter. That being said, the markings are only on the plastic version, not the stainless steel version of the dish.
- Clear lid that does not slip or slide
- Stoppers to make cutting easy
- Markings to make measuring easy
- Dimensions are very strict for butter sizes
- Stainless steel version has no markings
DOWAN Porcelain Butter Dish
DOWAN makes amazing products, and just like their previous entry on this list, this large butter dish is no exception. The porcelain butter dish is quite simple, but it does exactly what it needs to, starting with its large capacity, which can easily fit most sticks of butter. In fact, when it comes to East Coast butter, you can fit two sticks.
The butter dish is made of porcelain, meaning you can safely place it in a dishwasher without worrying about warping or breaking it. The exception to this is the wooden lid, which needs to be washed by hand. However, the lid is also kept loosely sealed with silicone, meaning you don’t have to worry about anything stored inside going bad.
- Made using dishwasher-safe porcelain
- Holds a large amount of butter
- The lid is kept sealed using silicone
- Can be used for more than butter
- Seal often needs to be adjusted at purchase
Rubbermaid Standard Butter Dish
Different from other butter dishes, this Rubbermaid butter dish is mentioned as the perfect butter dish for those wanting something light and easy to travel with. While it does not have many of the features of other dishes, it is made for travel and is perfect for an outing or other events in which taking something fragile or unsealed won’t work.
This butter dish is clear and has a sealable base that makes it easy to move around without having to worry about a spill. Additionally, there are sides that surround the stick of butter, making it easy to cut without having to worry about the butter slipping away. You can even put it in a dishwasher without having to worry, making cleaning a breeze.
- Perfect for traveling due to sealable lid
- Made out of durable, dishwasher-safe plastic
- Easily holds a basic stick of butter
- Sides keep butter from sliding out
- Unattractive design
- Plastic is vulnerable to sharp knives
WERTIOO Porcelain Butter Dish
The WERTIOO butter dish is the perfect mix between simplicity and convenient design. While it does not have as many features as some other butter dishes, it does have a small section for butter in the dish to prevent slipping and make it easier to cut. The raised edges also help prevent the lid from sliding or coming off unintentionally.
The lid of the butter dish even has a handle, making it easy to remove and place back without making a mess. Due to the dish being made from porcelain, you can even use it in hot and cold environments, making it perfect for use in a refrigerator. It can even be placed in the dishwasher for convenient cleaning.
- Raised edges prevent slipping and sliding
- Has a handle on the lid
- Easy to clean
- Refrigerator safe
- Nothing to help you measure the butter
Butterie Flip-Top Butter Dish by Kitchen Concepts Unlimited, LLC
This butter dish is fantastic. The first thing that makes it stand out from the competitors is that it is a single piece, having a lid that is attached to the base. While most butter dishes separate to give you access to the butter, this one simply flips back and grants easy access to everything inside, and it can hold quite a lot of butter.
Unlike some butter dishes, this dish can hold two sticks of traditional butter or one stick of European butter. Not only does it boast a large capacity, but it comes with a butter knife and a no-mess edge to make scraping excess butter off easy. There are even handles and a non-slip base to rely on. Best of all, it’s durable and will last a long time.
- Is a dishwasher-safe butter dish
- Has handles and a non-slip base
- Has a no-mess edge for scraping butter
- Large capacity
- Can be hard to clean manually
Sweese Large Butter Dish
As the last butter dish on this list, the Sweese butter dish returns to simplicity. While there are not many impressive features that make this butter dish stand out from the crowd, it has a nice design, is well made, and is easy to use and clean. In fact, since it is made from professional-grade porcelain, it can be placed in a dishwasher or fridge.
This butter dish is also large, making it perfect for almost any stick of butter. The dish also has a large handle on the lid, meaning you won’t have any problems or slips when trying to get to your butter. On top of all of that, you can get this butter dish in several different colors, such as navy, mint green, turquoise, and white.
- Can hold a great deal of butter
- Has a large lid for easy access
- Is dishwasher safe
- The butter dish is not airtight
Shopping for Butter Dishes
One of the easiest things you will ever shop for will be a butter dish. After all, there are not many things that you need to consider to make a choice. However, to make things easier, consider these variables when buying a butter dish:
- Size of Butter: What kind of butter do you plan on using? Are you using East or West Coast butter? What about European butter? These are all sold in different sizes, and certain butter dishes might not work for all of them.
- Measuring: Do you want to be able to easily measure your butter without keeping the wrapper on? If you want your measurements to be precise, you will want to purchase one of the butter dishes with clear markings to make it easier.
- Material: Material matters. It determines whether you can place the dish in the fridge or wash it in a dishwasher. It also matters because it needs to fit your kitchen, so consider material when shopping for a butter dish.
Everything else is just going to be your personal choice. If you want a butter dish loaded with features, there are plenty of options.
There are a lot of butter dishes out there, and most of them will suit your needs. However, you should still give it some thought when purchasing a butter dish and decide what you really want. Do you want a large dish for a lot of butter? Perhaps you simply need something elegant. No matter what, your perfect dish is out there.
Other Items You Might Need for Your Home
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.