Although there are many ways to use a wood burning pen, creating artwork is one of the most fulfilling. It is also a hobby that is not difficult to get into but has a high ceiling, allowing anyone to create something while also rewarding dedication. The kits below make it even easier by providing you with everything you need to get going.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Wood Burning Kits:
- Powza 72Pcs Wood Burning Kit for Beginners
- TRUArt Stage 1 Wood Leather Cardboard Paper Pyrography Pen Set
- Viiart Professional Pyrography Tool Kit
Criteria for Choosing the Best Wood Burning Kits
When it comes to wood burning kits, there are some obvious things that make some stand out from the crowd. Here are a few of the things that were used to determine the kits included on this list:
- Temperature Control: While it is not necessary for every pyrography tool to have a way to adjust the temperature, it is a great feature, especially when you want various shades in your art. It also makes it easier to control, which is why it was an important consideration when choosing wood burning kits.
- Safety: Nothing is more important than safety, which is why the design and quality of the pyrography tool are so important. Additionally, a usable pen holder is vital when using a wood burning kit.
- Tips: The tips control what you can do with your wood burning kit, such as changing the thickness of lines and many other aspects of your final product. Therefore, a range of high-quality tips is definitely a must.
While the above are what need to be in every decent kit, there are a variety of other accessories and extras that are often included in a wood burning kit, especially those meant for beginners. Kits with a more complete assortment of accessories and extras were given priority over kits of similar quality.
The 7 Best Wood Burning Kits
When it comes to wood burning kits, there are a few different designs and styles out there. Some use solid tips, and others use wire tips. Moreover, not all of them have a digital readout. The accessories can differ too. To make things easier, some of the best choices out there have been listed below.
Powza 72Pcs Wood Burning Kit for Beginners
The first wood burning kit featured on this list comes from Powza, and it is a great kit for beginners who are just getting started. The kit comes with 72 pieces, which include the basics, such as the pyrography pen, a soldering iron holder, and 21 tips that are meant for wood carving. It even comes with carrying cases for the pen and the tips.
However, what really makes this kit stand out are the extras. It includes pencils, paper, and wood, allowing you to get right to work. There are even molds to help you make some complicated designs, even as a beginner. The molds include holiday designs as well, so you can create a Christmas-themed work of art to match the season.
- The kit includes everything you need to get started
- The molds make it easy to carve out some basic designs
- There are carrying cases for the pen and tips
- The pen’s heating core can easily be replaced
- The kit comes at a fantastic price
- The durability of the tips is subpar
- The pen does not hold up as well as a more expensive one
TRUArt Stage 1 Wood Leather Cardboard Paper Pyrography Pen Set
If you are looking for a solid pyrography pen to start with, going with TRUArt is a wise decision. They make some excellent products, and they stand by them completely, even replacing broken tips at no additional cost. That includes tips that eventually break from wear and tear. Plus, the quality of the products is great, to begin with.
TRUArt’s Stage 1 kit includes a pen with dual settings: 15W and 30W. The kit featured here also includes 35 tips, including more than just the wood burning tips if you decide to branch out. It also comes with a basic stencil, pen holder, and plastic casing to round the kit out. Moreover, the user manual will help you get started without missing a beat.
- The quality is difficult to beat, especially for the price
- They replace broken tips at no extra cost
- The kit includes 35 different tips
- It comes with some basic accessories
- The user manual includes helpful information for beginners
- The kit does not include wood or similar materials
- There have been comments on the tips becoming loose rather quickly
Viiart Professional Pyrography Tool Kit
There are plenty of basic kits out there, but if you are looking to take your wood burning game to the next level, this kit can help you do just that. It is easy to use and gives you a lot of control that might be lacking in another kit. One of the reasons for this is the temperature control, which is shown on a digital display that makes getting it right easy.
The kit also has a fantastic pen that comes with 20 wire tips and a variety of accessories. Included in the accessories are basic care and safety tools, such as a holder, screwdriver, and sponge. There are also four pattern molds and various materials to get you started right away, including two shapes of wood and a gourd.
- The kit comes with all the basic accessories you will need
- The wood burning machine has a digital temperature display
- It heats up quickly without the ergonomic handle getting too hot
- It is beginner-friendly and easy to use
- The handle can get a bit hot during use
YSBMZP Wood Burning Kit
If you want to be fully prepared to get some art done, this wood burning kit has a solid combination of basics and extras to push you forward. The basics are all here, including a 60W wood burning machine with adjustable temperature and a digital display. There are also two pyrography pens, two holders, and both a screwdriver and pen knife.
This kit also gives plenty of variety, having a total of 23 wire tips and five unique molds with plenty of shapes, letters, and numbers to make some basic pieces of art a breeze. There are even some wood circles and squares to give you something to play around with.
- The kit comes with all the basics you need to get started
- It heats up quickly and displays the temperature on a digital display
- There are two pens and two holders included in this kit
- The five molds make it easy to apply some basics to a wood surface
- There have been complaints about the lack of instructions
- The handle has a tendency to get hot during use
TRUArt (Stage 2) Single Pen Professional Woodburning Detailer
There are plenty of choices for a beginner, but when it comes to taking things beyond the basics, it requires a more discerning eye. TRUArt’s Stage 2 kit takes things to a higher level by offering quality, durability, and a variety of tips and accessories that surpass many of the kits you will find, starting with the fact that it is a 60W tool.
While it is not the first 60W tool on the list, it is particularly impressive, heating up very quickly and having precise temperature control. The design also makes it stand out, with the pen being ergonomic and easy to use. The kit also includes 40 high-quality tips, pliers, tweezers, files, and a fantastic pen holder. It even has a great case to carry it all.
- The quality is well above most other wood burning kits
- The tool is powerful and heats almost instantly
- There are 40 high-quality tips for detailing
- The design of the pen and holder stand out
- It comes with files and other useful accessories
- It is not suitable for beginners
- At the higher temperature, the pen can get quite hot
- It does not include any wood to work with
TEKCHIC 60W Professional Wood Burning Kit
If you are looking for another high-quality kit at a lower price point, TEKCHIC sells a number of fantastic wood burning kits that fit the bill, with one of them being featured here. This kit has a 60W tool that heats up quickly and has a digital display. And the superior temperature control makes it easier to get the shade you want.
The lightweight pen is equally easy to work with, and although the pen holder is not the best, it gets the job done. It also comes with a built-in spot for a sponge pad. The tip collection is not terribly extensive, but all 20 of the tips included are high-quality. In fact, you do not have to worry about the quality or durability of any part of this fantastic kit.
- The temperature control is excellent
- The pen is lightweight and comfortable to hold
- Everything in the kit is durable and holds up well
- The pen holder could be better
- It does not include any wood
IVSUN 116pcs Wood Burning Kit
This kit is ideal for someone who wants a little bit of everything all in one package. It comes with a wide range of tips, accessories, and extras to make sure you can do all kinds of things from the start. And it all starts with the pen, which has a knob that makes it easy to adjust the temperature and a decent design that includes a non-slip handle.
The real draw of this kit is the assortment of extras, though. There are 59 wood burning tips, 14 stencils, and plenty of wood and carbon paper. And that is just the beginning, with the kit including all kinds of other accessories and tidbits as well. The selection makes it difficult to find another kit that is as suitable for a curious beginner.
- The pen has a knob that allows you to adjust the temperature
- There are 59 wood burning tips
- There is a large variety of accessories and extras
- Add conThe instructions are helpful for beginners
- It is well worth the price for all that you get
How to Shop for the Best Wood Burning Kits
When you are purchasing a wood burning kit, you need to consider a few things, such as why you are buying it and whether you have any of the equipment already. You also want to keep your level of experience in mind and decide whether you want to invest in better gear from the start. Some other considerations are:
- Temperature Control: It is important when picking the best pyrography pens and wood burning kits, and it should also be one of your main considerations when buying a wood burning kit of your own. If you want to be able to adjust heat and change shades, you will want a pen with a variable temperature.
- Comfort: You should take a look at things like the size of the pen and the length of the cord. In addition, take a look at the general style of the pen and try to find one that looks like it will be comfortable in your hand. If you use it a lot, you want it to be comfortable.
- Accessories: What accessories and extras do you want your kit to have? There are some kits out there that only have the basics, while others give you more to play with, even if they do often have lower overall quality.
- Tips: When choosing a wood burning kit, do not only look at the variety of tips. You also need to look at whether the tips are solid or wire. Wire tends to be better for detail and heat up more quickly, while solid tips take longer to heat up but can be used for larger areas.
There are plenty of things to consider when choosing a wood burning kit, so make sure to do your research property. Hopefully, you have a better idea of what you want after looking at the kits on this list.
Wood burning pens are a great tool, whether they are being used for practical reasons or art, and a wood burning kit makes it easy to get everything you need all at once. Just make sure that when you buy a wood burning kit, you get everything you need and buy something suitable for your skill level.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.