A portable desk is perfect for someone who wants a desk they can use in various places or one that can be taken down and set up whenever it is needed. Fortunately, there are numerous types of portable desks, from those meant to be sat at with a chair to those that can be set atop your lap when you need a flat and sturdy surface.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Portable Desks of 2021
Criteria for Choosing the Best Portable Desks
When it comes to portable desks, there are a variety of things to be considered. These considerations are mainly due to the various situations in which one might want a portable desk. The circumstances will impact what a portable desk needs, though there are a few things that should always be present, such as:
- Durability: A portable desk will likely be lighter weight than other desks since it is meant to be moved. Therefore, it is important that a balance is struck and that the desk still be sturdy. The desks on this list are all sturdy despite their lightweight and portable designs.
- Lightweight: As mentioned above, a portable desk needs to be lightweight in order to be moved or set atop a user’s lap. Therefore, the portable desks chosen are all relatively lightweight.
- Surface Area: While the different types of portable desks have different surface areas, all of the portable desks chosen have enough surface area to work with. After all, their ultimate purpose is to serve as a portable surface for items.
While the other features present matter, and while height is also important, the durability, weight, and surface area provided are the most relevant concerns. Moreover, they are often in direct correlation with one another, making them even more important.
The 8 of Best Portable Desks of 2021
All of the portable desks chosen here are high-quality and serve as great surfaces to do work on. Whether they are meant to have a chair behind them or to set in your lap, they are sturdy and lightweight. They are also sizable, though some are larger than others. Therefore, take a look at the list to see the top types of portable desks.
4NM 31.5″ Folding Computer Desk
The folding computer desk made by 4NM is a great example of simplicity and portability, providing nothing but what you need to make it as lightweight and portable as possible. In fact, the entire table only weighs around 20 pounds, yet it can bear weight up to 100 pounds. Because of this, you can use this desk for almost anything without worry.
The dimensions of the desk are around 32 inches by 18 inches, with the table’s height reaching about 30 inches. When folded, the height and length remain the same, but the width drops down to around 2.5 inches, allowing you to easily store it in a small space or place it against the wall. Plus, you can put it up or take it down without any assembly.
- It is lightweight and easy to move
- It can be folded and stored in small spaces
- The weight capacity reaches 100 pounds
- It can be put up and taken down easily
- Utilizes a steel frame and anti-rust hinges
- The edges are known to peel a bit
- The corners are quite sharp
SIDUCAL Mobile Stand Up Desk
When it comes to portable desks, the SIDUCAL stand-up desk stands out. This desk not only has an adjustable height that makes it perfect as a standing desk or a classic desk with a chair, but it has wheels and a light frame. The overall weight of this desk is around 24 pounds, making it a great choice for those who want a mobile workstation.
The dimensions of the desk are about 22 inches by 22 inches, and the height is adjustable from around 28 inches to 45 inches. The two desktops can even be adjusted separately, making this a very versatile desk. Moreover, this desk is very stable due to solid construction and design, which utilizes medium-density fibreboard and steel.
- The wheels make this desk easy to move
- It is a versatile desk with multiple setups
- It is lightweight, coming in at around 24 pounds
- The height is adjustable between 28 and 45 inches
- Durable and sturdy due to materials and design
- The surface area isn’t that large
- It does not fold or get smaller for storage
- Not a great standing desk for tall people
SAIJI Laptop Bed Tray Desk
If you care less about surface area and just want a desk that can follow you practically anywhere, then SAIJI’s tray desk is a great choice. It is around 24 by 13 inches, so there is a good bit of room, and it only weighs around six pounds. As for the height, it can be adjusted to four different levels that range from 9.4 to 12.6 inches.
The desk is also capable of tilting, meaning you won’t have any trouble getting comfortable. It can even hold over 80 pounds. In addition, it has a leather design, so it is non-slip, soft, waterproof, and weatherproof. You will even notice a storage drawer that you can use for various small items, making it even more convenient as an on-the-go desk.
- It is made using high-quality leather
- The desk only weighs around six pounds
- The height can be adjusted for comfort
- There is a convenient storage drawer
- It has a high weight capacity
- The surface area is limited
- It does not offer much as a standalone desk
Halter Folding Computer Desk
Another fantastic portable desk is made by Halter, and it has a sleek, modern design that makes it a great addition to many rooms. The desk is around 39 inches by 20 inches and has a height of around 30 inches, so you can fit what you need and sit comfortably. Furthermore, the tabletop is removable for easy storage and setup.
The desk can be taken down and set up quickly, so you can store it with ease, merely needing to fold the legs to the frame after removing the tabletop. All of this comes on a desk that only weighs around 22 pounds. That being said, this portable table is only meant to hold around 25 pounds stably, so you should keep that in mind.
- It has a sleek, modern design
- There is plenty of surface area
- It only weighs around 22 pounds
- The tabletop can be removed for easy storage
- The height and design make sitting comfortable
- It does not have a high weight capacity
GreenForest Folding Desk
GreenForest’s folding desk is perfect for those who want a portable desk that is quick to set up. It folds in one easy motion, so you can take it down and set it up in moments. In addition, the desk requires no assembly and folds in such a way that it can be stored against a wall or beneath a bed or sofa. Few desks allow you to save as much space.
The desk also has two surfaces, which include the main deck and a shelf behind the desk. The shelf is 32 inches by 5 inches, while the desk is around 30 inches by 21 inches. There is plenty of surface area, and it is all held up on a sturdy design. Plus, the entire desk only weighs around 25 pounds, making it easy to move as necessary.
- The desk can be stored and set up in one easy motion
- There is plenty of surface area between the desk and shelf
- It is lightweight at around 25 pounds
- You can store the desk without a hassle
- Figuring out how to properly collapse it can be tricky
- The edges are very sharp
Need Folding Desk
The Need folding desk is what you should turn to if you are looking for a great portable table with a high weight capacity. It comes in a variety of sizes, so you can choose precisely what you need. Plus, while it is a heavy-duty desk made of sturdy materials, it is rather lightweight, with the smallest desk clocking in at just under 18 pounds.
This portable desk requires no assembly, simply requiring the legs to be folded or opened to take it down or set it up. It can be done in seconds, and the result is sturdy and easy to use. Moreover, once it is folded, the desk can be stored easily, the height when folded being less than five inches, making it easy to store out of the way.
- It has a high weight capacity
- The heavy-duty materials used are sturdy
- There are multiple sizes to choose from
- It can be easily folded for storage
- The desk does not weigh much
- It is relatively expensive
- The edges are very sharp
SANGFOR Standing Adjustable Laptop Desk
While this SANGFOR desk is considered a standing desk, it is much more versatile than that. The frame is sturdy, and the height is adjustable, meaning you can use it in a variety of situations, both sitting and standing. It is only made easier since the desk has wheels. The desk design also makes it perfect for pulling up beside a couch or bed.
The desk is a bit narrow, with a length of around 23 inches and a length of around 16 inches, but it is quite sturdy. In addition, the height can be adjusted between 27 and 37 inches. Another feature of this portable desk is that it has a built-in slot for a tablet or phone. Just make sure to keep the weight on top of it at around 30 pounds for stability.
- It is a versatile desk for a variety of situations
- It only weighs around 12 pounds
- There is a built-in slot for a tablet or phone
- It can stably hold around 30 pounds
- It is a rather narrow desk
- Not a great standing desk for tall people
HLHome Portable Foldable Laptop Tray Table
This portable table by HLHome is an example of a feature-packed product that is both convenient and easy to move around. To start, the dimensions of this portable table are around 24 inches by 16 inches, with a height of about 11 inches. While it is not very large, it only weighs around five pounds and is perfect if you want a portable desk.
As for the features, this desk is loaded with them. It all starts with a cup holder and a tablet or phone holder. It also includes four USB charging ports and a built-in storage drawer for small items. Moreover, the legs fold up into the table, making it easy to store. You will even notice soft pads on the stand that are both comfortable and anti-slip.
- It is a very lightweight desk
- There is a cup holder and tablet holder
- It contains four USB charging ports
- There is a built-in storage drawer
- The legs fold for easy storage
- The surface area and height are limited
- The power cord is short and not removable
How to Shop for the Best Portable Desks
When it comes to shopping for a portable desk, there are actually only a few things that need to be considered. Of course, it might take some time to find the best desk for you, but if you consider these things, then it will be easier to narrow down the choices:
- Surface Area: How much space do you need? If you need a full desk, then you will want one that requires a chair. If you only need a small space to use while seated, then you might consider a portable desk meant for your lap.
- Height: While it might not seem like an obvious concern, there is a need to know what height table you will need. For those looking to sit behind a full-fledged table, you want to know how much space you will need to be comfortable. The same is true of desks meant for your lap as well.
- Storage: If you are looking for a portable desk, then storage is probably important to you. Portable desks are often easy to fold or take down into a compact form. Make sure you know where you want to keep it so that you can buy a product that you can properly store.
There are other things you might want to consider looking at, including the durability and weight capacity of the portable desk you are purchasing. However, you will narrow down the results a great deal as long as you consider the dimensions that will work best for you.
There are a lot of portable desks out there, and chances are, many of them will accomplish what you want them to. Therefore, you need to consider what will be comfortable and then find a sturdy desk after that.
Other Products You May Need
- The Top Eight Laptop Tables of 2021
- The Best Gaming Desks from Amazon Prime Deals
- 5 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Office More Comfortable
- The Best Cat 6 Ethernet Cable To Bump Up Your Network Speed [Top 9 List]
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.