What is a mortar and pestle exactly and what is its purpose? It’s a set of tools that date back to the Stone Age that helps crushing products into a fine powder. Mortar and pestles are mainly used for cooking nowadays, but the two-piece set could be used to prep ingredients for a science experiment.
So if you’re looking to add a vintage set of kitchen tools to your home setup, a mortar and pestle is a fun touch.
If you’re in a hurry, here’s our top 3 quick picks for the best mortar and pestles of 2021
- ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set
- Gorilla Grip Original Mortar and Pestle Set
- Granite Mortar and Pestle by HiCoup
Selecting a Top Notch Mortar and Pestle Set That’s Right For You
Finding the right mortar and pestle set shouldn’t be difficult. What really matters is what you’re looking to get out of your new mortar and pestle set. Do you want something that makes a nice centerpiece for your kitchen but doesn’t have to actually crush spices that well to a fine powder?
Here are some things to consider before purchasing a mortar and pestle set.
- The size: A lot of mortar and pestle sets have a certain cup capacity. Would you prefer a 2 cup or 3 cup capacity? Some even have a 4 cup capacity.
- The material: Mortar and pestles are actually made from similar materials that make up your kitchen countertop. Try a granite set or marble or even a porcelain set. Match it to your countertop for a clean and sleek kitchen setup.
- Dishwasher safe: Can you wash your new set in the dishwasher or do you have to do it the old fashioned way? The question is convenience.
The main things to remember before clicking “Buy Now” are the mortar and pestle’s cup capacity and the material. Everything else isn’t exactly necessary but keep in mind certain factors like color and convenience.
The 9 Best Mortar and Pestle Sets of 2021
There are a multitude of mortar and pestle sets available for purchase from every store imaginable. Here are the top-rated mortar and pestle picks that won’t break the bank and will make a nice addition to your kitchen.
ChefSofi Mortar and Pestle Set
The ChefSofi mortar and pestle set is top-ranked for a reason. With over 10,000 reviews, a sleek unpolished grey granite look, and a decent price this is without a doubt the best mortar and pestle set. This product set comes with a free virtual cookbook, a self-adhesive anti-scratch protection pad and more.
- The ChefSofi set is really well priced for the quality you get in return.
- Versatility – You can make everything from guacamole, pesto, curry paste, chimichurri and so much more. This isn’t just for smashing spices!
- Reviews are mostly positive, with many praising the kit for being even more high quality than they imagined. One reviewer said it was a good investment if you use spices in daily cooking.
- Other reviewers praised the customer service from the seller
- More than one reviewer said that their kit arrived with cracks or a broken pestle
- The unpolished granite option was not for everyone (One reviewer said they thought the unpolished granite was too porous and rough.)
- This is not dishwasher safe
Gorilla Grip Original Mortar and Pestle Set
The Gorilla Grip original mortar and pestle set is also made from 100 percent unpolished granite and comes in a small, medium, or large size. The small size holds 1.5 cups, the medium holds 2 cups, and the large holds 4 cups total. The Gorilla Grip set also comes decently priced and has generally positive reviews.
- Comes with an optional foam bottom so you don’t have to worry about scratching your kitchen countertop
- The variety of sizes is a nice touch. Helps you narrow down what size you need based on what you want to use the mortar and pestle set for.
- The reviews praised the product for being good quality, and one reviewer said it helped her make more natural items like turmeric tea.
- Not dishwasher friendly
- One reviewer said the pestle was too short compared to the size of the mortar
- Several reviewers noted the pestle snapped after a few uses
Granite Mortar and Pestle by HiCoup
This is the first highly-rated mortar and pestle set with a different look. The HiCoup set touts that it is non-porous and is easy to clean. Reviewers praised this mortar and pestle set for being sturdy and easy to use. The set also has a rough matte texture and an extra deep sloped shape that helps keep ingredients in the center of the mortar.
- The price is under 30 dollars
- The seller seems very responsive to customer questions
- Most of the nearly 3,000 reviews are positive, with many reviewers saying how wowed they were by the product
- This is the most expensive mortar and pestle set mentioned so far on this list
- Some reviewers said it was too heavy and did feel porous to them
- Some reviewers said their set was chipped upon arrival
Laevo Marble Mortar and Pestle Set
The Laevo mortar and pestle set is the first non-granite option on the list, and has a sleek and polished design. Laevo says it has the only reversible mortar and pestle on the market, which allows the user to separate the flavors and smells for more versatility. This set is eco-friendly and has a risk-free warranty for peace of mind after purchasing.
- This sleek marble set is less than fifty dollars
- Comes with a silicone lid/mat and spoon for no extra cost.
- Holds up to 2.1 cups of material
- It weighs 6.45 pounds, so it’s quite sturdy.
- This set has a 4.8 rating out of 1,189 reviews.
- The white marble looks very aesthetically pleasing
- This set is eco-friendly
- This is the most expensive set on the list so far
- One recent reviewer said it didn’t hold up after only a few uses
- One reviewer noted it chipped/cracked easily
Sagler Marble Grey Mortar and Pestle Set
This beautiful mortar and pestle set from Sagler is the least expensive product on this list so far, but still remains a good quality purchase. The interior is unpolished and rough, which allows for better grinding. This is the lightest set on the list, weighing in at 1.35 pounds. The Sagler set has a 4.7 rating out of 3,775 reviews.
- This set is less than fifteen dollars.
- This set is smaller and more lightweight, making it ideal for smaller kitchen setups like in an apartment complex.
- Reviewers said this was a great buy for small grinding needs.
- Several reviewers said that the marble dust came off of the product when they tried to use it
- This is a small mortar and pestle set, and isn’t suitable for making larger menu items like guacamole
- Another reviewer noted the set was very fragile and broke after one use
Tera 18/8 Stainless Steel Mortar and Pestle With Brush
The Tera Stainless Steel mortar and pestle set is one of the rare genuine stainless steel options on this list. The genuine stainless steel material means that this set won’t rust, and the Tera set is also BPA-free. Anyone who purchases this set will also get a translucent lid with a built in hole for the pestle so you can crush spices without fear of making a mess.
- Easy to clean and made with genuine stainless steel so the set won’t rust like imitation stainless steel.
- The price is reasonable for the quality
- The padded bottom of the mortar keeps it sturdy on any countertop
- The set has a 4.7 rating out of 6,428 global reviews
- Reviewers praised this set as “excellent,” and a “kitchen necessity.”
- It’s not as visually pleasing as the other options on the list
- One reviewer said it worked well for medicine but wasn’t really a good food grinder
- One reviewer said it looked nice but it really only held about 1 cup of liquid at max.
Vasconia 4-Cup Granite Molcajete Mortar and Pestle
In terms of visuals, this Molcajete mortar and pestle set from Vasconia is a winner. As the company says in the notes for the product, this would make a great centerpiece for serving chips and salsa during a party for example. This set weighs about 8.9 pounds total and has a 4-cup capacity with a smooth interior for the mortar.
- This set has a 4.7 rating out of 3,301 reviews
- Reviewers praised the visual appeal and the set’s versatility
- For the size and look, the price tag is not bad at all
- One reviewer said it was great for grinding spices or making salsa
- Not dishwasher safe
- One reviewer said it wasn’t a traditional Mexican Molcajete made from basalt, but was rather made with unpolished granite. She noted that granite is smoother than basalt, so if other buyers were looking for a traditional Molcajete this wasn’t it
- It’s not a lightweight set, so not ideal for purchasers who just have small things to grind and mash
Gramercy Kitchen Company Marble Mortar and Pestle Set
The Gramercy Kitchen Company mortar and pestle set is currently the number one new release in mortar and pestle sets. The sleek marble look is accompanied with a non-skid protective pad to keep your countertop from getting scratched, a complementary garlic peeler, and also a downloadable recipe guide. The Gramercy set has a 1.5 cup capacity with a longer pestle to make grinding and masking products easy and painless for the purchaser.
- The marble look is really pretty and makes a nice countertop piece
- The extra accessories are nice especially for the relatively low price
- All of the reviews so far are positive with one reviewer saying it makes a great addition to any kitchen
- The sturdiness of the product was also praised by reviewers
- The product is relatively new so there are less than 20 reviews
- It’s not dishwasher safe
- The reviews are good so far with a 5 star rating, but there’s only 14 reviews
The Cooler Kitchen Store EZ-Grip Silicone and Porcelain Mortar and Pestle Set
For the person interested in purchasing a mortar and pestle set that doesn’t require a lot of pre-prep time and clean up after must buy this Cooler Kitchen Store Mortar and Pestle set. Made from porcelain with an EZ-grip handle, this set is dishwasher safe and comes with a break-free base for extra ease of use.
- This is the only dishwasher safe set on the list
- Definitely designed for ease, no need to pre-season this set like the other granite and marble sets
- Reviewers praised its durability, its ease of use with one reviewer saying it really helped them crush their medications and didn’t make their arthritic hands feel any discomfort
- Comes in white/black or red
- The price is pretty good for a dishwasher safe set
- Some reviewers said the base broke easily after trying to grind or crush something
- Not the best product if you’re going for the more traditional mortar and pestle look (this is a more modern design)
The main question to ask when purchasing a mortar and pestle set is this: Are you looking for a classic, vintage mortar and pestle look or something more modern? All of the granite and marble sets on this list require the user to season the set before even starting to use it.
This is to ensure the interior is prepped for use. If you don’t want a product that requires pre-prep and hand washing consider the porcelain set. It’s all about personal preference and getting the most for your money!
Other Kitchen Items to Consider
- The Best Meat Tenderizer Tool of 2021-Spice Your BBQ Game Up
- The Top 6 Over the Sink Dish Racks of 2021
- The Best Cookbooks To Give This Holiday Season
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.