If your hair is difficult to straighten using ordinary means, a hot comb is one of the best ways to tackle the problem. Hot combs are ideal for moderate to coarse hair, but they are effective on all hair types. Plus, since there are so many electric models, you can easily use them at home. Read on to find out about the best hot combs available.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Hot Combs
- Andis 38300 Professional High Heat Ceramic Press Comb
- Terviiix Hot Comb
- INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Gold-Plated Straightening Comb
Criteria for Choosing the Best Hot Comb
Although most hot combs function in the same way, there are some subtle differences that can really matter, especially if you have very coarse hair that needs extra power and attention. Therefore, when choosing the hot combs for this list, the following things were considered:
- Heat: When it comes to a hot comb, heat is everything. While not every type of hair needs the absolute highest heat settings, the more options available, the better. That is why hot combs with higher overall heat and more variable settings were given an advantage over others.
- Safety: There is no reason for a styling tool to be unsafe. In fact, safety is especially important because of how hot these combs get, with some of them reaching around 500°F. Therefore, hot combs with built-in safety stands and auto-off functions definitely took the advantage over others.
- Control: It is important that a hot comb be easy to control, which can be difficult if the cord is too short or stiff. Fortunately, there are quite a few hot combs that use swivel cords that give you a great range of motion and make using them that much easier.
The actual range of temperatures and whether the hot comb successfully distributes heat were also considered. The goal is to do as little damage to your hair as possible while using it, so a stable temperature is a must. Additionally, durability and the material used played a role in which hot combs were chosen or not.
The 7 Best Hot Combs
There are all kinds of hot combs, including those that have different temperature ranges and heat settings. There are also both traditional hot combs and hot straightener combs, which are slightly bulkier hot combs with a wave-like design for the teeth. You will see a variety of examples below to help you find the best hot comb for your needs.
Andis 38300 Professional High Heat Ceramic Press Comb
One of the best hot combs you will be able to find comes from Andis. The brand has a stellar reputation, and there are plenty of reviews to back it up. But it is how well it works that really makes it great, starting with the high-quality ceramic that is used to make it. Not only does it work on all types of hair, but it heats up quickly and holds heat well.
In addition, there are 20 variable heat settings, allowing you to set the comb to whatever temperature best suits your needs. It even features a tangle-free swivel cord for a superior range of motion that promotes less frustration and more control when using it. And if you are concerned about safety, the auto-off feature should ease your worry.
- The brand uses high-quality materials to deliver a durable, reliable product
- The comb and variable heat settings ensure it work with all hair types
- It heats up quickly and retains heat
- There is a tangle-free swivel cord
- It turns off automatically
- The button placement makes it easy to turn off by accident
Terviiix Hot Comb
Another ceramic hot comb that is worth taking a look at is the one featured here from Terviix. Although the design is similar, there are some differences between this hot comb and the previous one. The first difference is the removable anti-scald shield that can protect sensitive skin. It also features fewer heat settings, only having five.
There are fewer heat settings, but they cover a range of temperatures that make this hot comb suitable for all types of hair. Additionally, the design ensures that you will not accidentally turn off the comb during use. You even get a convenient 6.5ft swivel cord, along with dual voltage and 60-minute auto-off, giving you all the features you need.
- There is a removable anti-scald shield that protects sensitive skin
- The heat settings cover a wide range and works for all hair types
- The design ensures that you do not accidentally turn off the comb
- It is loaded with a variety of convenient features
- It is a bit pricier than similar models from other brands
INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Gold-Plated Straightening Comb
Conair makes incredible hair styling tools, so it should come as no surprise that they make an effective hot comb. This hot comb is designed to work on all types of natural hair. Moreover, it is gold-plated and achieves a long-lasting result that you will be happy with. And since it heats up quickly, you can do quick touch-ups whenever.
Where this hot comb really stands out is the number of heat settings. It has 30 heat settings that reach a max of 345°F, along with an optional Turbo Boost for another jump in heat when needed. It even focuses on maintaining consistent heat to prevent any damage to your hair.
- It is designed to work on all types of natural hair
- The comb heats up quickly and maintains a consistent temperature
- There are 30 heat settings that reach a max of 345°F
- It has a Turbo Boost feature for extra heat where needed
- The maximum heat is not that high compared to some brands
Dan Technology Professional Electric Hot Comb
If you want a robust, high-heat hot comb that is built to last, Dan Technology has you covered. This hot comb is anything but flimsy. The handle is made out of quality plastic, and the ceramic-coated comb is just as reliable. The ceramic coating distributes heat evenly, protecting your hair and ensuring you get the best possible results.
The temperature stands out as well, reaching anywhere from 200 to 500°F. And, thanks to the rotating temperature control, you can move through the seven temperature settings while using the product. Other features included in this comb are an auto-off feature, a removable anti-scald shield, and a nearly 6ft swivel cord for easy handling.
- It is a robust, durable hot comb that will last
- The ceramic coating ensures proper heat distribution
- There are seven temperature settings that go up to 500°F
- It has great safety features
- There is a convenient 360° swivel cord
- The price is higher than some similar options
Red by Kiss Hot Styler Pressing Comb
Red by Kiss has everything you want in a hot comb, and it all starts with the safety features, which include auto-off after an hour and a built-in safety stand to keep the heated comb away from vulnerable surfaces. Moreover, the polished gold comb heats up quickly, allowing you to use it without delay.
This comb comes with 10 heat settings available, and they can take the temperature as high as 450°F. It also maintains even heat distribution, ensuring you do not face any surprises once you get going. And it is all contained in a lightweight design that includes a convenient swivel cord for easy movement and usage.
- There are effective built-in safety features
- The polished gold comb heats up quickly and evenly distributes the heat
- There are 10 adjustable heat settings
- The entire thing is lightweight and easy to use
- It is a very affordable option
- The low price point comes at the cost of durability
- The power button is easy to accidentally hit while using it
TYMO Hair Straightener Comb Matte Black
Although the design of this hot comb strays from the traditional, there is no doubt that it gets the job done. In fact, the Tymo Ring essentially combines a flat iron and a comb, and the results speak for themselves. This hot comb has five heat settings to suit different hair types, making it a versatile choice.
The chip in this hot comb helps keep the heat consistent and decreases the time it takes for the comb to reach the right temperature. It also features an anti-scald coating over the heating element that prevents burns without impacting performance. And, to take safety even further, it automatically turns off when it is not in use.
- The design allows it to comb through more hair at once than other hot combs
- There are five heat settings that are meant for multiple types of hair
- The chip improves the heating speed and keeps it stable
- There are some great built-in safety features
- It comes with a storage bag, heat-proof glove, and two clips
- The price tag is higher than an ordinary hot comb
- It still gets quite hot, even with the anti-scald shell
Goiple Electric Hot Comb
The Goiple Electric Hot Comb is a high-quality hairstyling tool that boasts temperature control and energy-saving features. This non-conductive hot comb is known for its high heat conversion efficiency, helping to transform hair into beautiful, frizz-free, and shiny locks. The tool quickly and efficiently straightens rough and curly hair into silky, straight strands. It evenly heats up in just 20-30 seconds, minimizing potential damage to your hair.
Included in the package is a rat tail comb, a wide-tooth comb, and a 2.7oz hair wax stick for women that helps smooth hair and improve shine, along with a travel-sized 0.75oz hair wax stick and hair clip. This combination allows for versatile styling options. The wax stick provides a medium hold that is flexible and offers 24-hour-long performance without appearing greasy or flaky.
- It will heat up very quickly for fast use
- Versatile package with plenty of extras
- Energy-saving product
- Heat can be too low for some
How to Shop for a Best Hot Comb
Now that you have seen some of the choices available in the world of hot combs, it is time to find the best one for you. However, it can be difficult to figure out, especially if you have never bought one before. Here are a few things that you can think about to make that decision a little easier:
- Hair Type: If you have moderately coarse hair or something even easier to deal with, then you have plenty of options. In fact, almost any hot comb will work for you. However, if you have extra coarse hair that is difficult to tame, then you should look for a hot comb with a high maximum temperature.
- Safety: When shopping for a hot comb, make sure to keep safety features in mind. You want a built-in safety stand, and auto-off is a great feature to have. Additionally, if you have sensitive skin that burns easily, you can consider finding a hot comb that comes with an anti-scald shield.
- Material: Although durability is important, the main reason you want to keep an eye on the material used in a hot comb is to prevent hair damage. Materials such as ceramic, tourmaline, and gold are fantastic, and they usually come with the advantage of retaining heat well.
You might want to keep in mind how comfortable the hot comb is to hold and whether the handle is insulated well against heat. And, of course, you will want to choose a hot comb that is easy to handle and will not be more frustrating than the problem you are trying to solve.
Hot combs can work miracles when it comes to straightening coarse hair, and with so many different models out there, it is easy to find one that will suit your needs. But not all of them are made equally. If you decide to get a hot comb, make sure you get one that will work on your hair type without damaging your hair.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.