Although crimped hair is a style from the 80s and 90s, it can still be a fantastic option if you want to add a purposefully frizzy look to your hair that has plenty of volumes. There are a few ways to achieve this look, but none work quite as well as a hair crimper. If you are interested in this unique look, check out the hair crimpers in this article.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Hair Crimpers:
- DSHOW 4-in-1 Hair Crimper
- Bed Head Bh307cn1 Totally Bent Chrome Crimper
- Hot Tools Pro 24K Gold Crimper
Criteria for Choosing the Best Hair Crimpers
Hair crimpers are a useful tool that can help you crimp your hair with ease. However, there are some important features that have to be included in any worthwhile hair crimper. In order to ensure all of the products included on this list are worth using, the following things were taken into account:
- Heat: The hair crimper has to get hot enough! While variable temperature settings are great since more options allow for versatility, the most important thing is whether the hair crimper can reach a temperature that will effectively style your hair. Of course, you do not want burnt hair, either.
- Crimping Plates: The crimping plates are vital to any hair crimper. The crimping plates need to be made from high-quality material that gets you the results you want without damaging your hair in the process. Moreover, the shape of the plates also plays a big role in how well the crimping goes.
- Safety: Safety is important with any hair crimper, and one of the most important factors is the shell. You do not want it to get so hot that it is dangerous. Of course, some level of heat is expected, but decent insulation is always a good thing. Additionally, proper design and auto-shutdown features are preferred.
Some of the other factors that influenced which hair crimpers were chosen for this list include price, how easy the hair crimper is to use, and the versatility offered, whether it be from variable temperatures or interchangeable plates.
The 7 Best Hair Crimpers
There are quite a few hair crimpers out there, and they range from mini crimpers to wide crimpers and everything in between. However, while it might seem a bit difficult to pick one out at first glance, there are some clear frontrunners on the market. Below, you will find an assortment of hair crimpers to help you find the right one for you.
DSHOW 4-in-1 Hair Crimper
When it comes to versatility, it is hard to beat DSHOW’s 4-in-1 hair crimper. This hair crimper comes with four interchangeable plates, which are made from titanium and designed to provide different styles. Among the plates are a flat plate, a 4-teeth plate, a 6-teeth plate, and an 8-teeth plate, allowing you to customize your look.
This hair crimper delivers 24-hour styling control, preventing frizz, even when it is humid. It also has an auto-off safety function that can be very helpful and convenient. It features a 5-step temperature feature as well, going from around 280 to 430°F, so it is suitable for anything from damaged hair to thick and hard to curl hair.
- There are four interchangeable titanium wave plates
- The 5-step temperature feature is great for various hair types
- It only takes around 30 seconds to heat up
- It has a ceramic coating that protects hair
- It has dual voltage and a power cord that can rotate 360 degrees
- The material used for the cover is not that durable
- Some people have found the crimpers to be a little small
Bed Head Bh307cn1 Totally Bent Chrome Crimper
Another great hair crimper comes from Bed Head, and it features 2-inch chrome crimping plates that get the job done with ease. One of the best parts about this crimper is that it heats up incredibly fast, and it stays hot once it does, saving you time and frustration. There are also three heat settings, so you can adjust however you need to.
The design is equally impressive from a comfort standpoint. This crimper fits well in the hand and will not cause any fatigue during use. It also has a plate-locking switch and features a flexible cord to make life a little easier. Those features also make it easier to travel, so you can take this great hair crimper on the go without any fuss.
- The chrome crimping plates are highly effective
- This crimper heats up very quickly and stays hot
- There are three heat settings available
- The crimper comes with a plate-locking switch
- The professional flex-cord makes travel and use easier
- The crimps are a bit small
- The insulation in the handle could be better
Hot Tools Professional Micro 24K Gold Crimper
If you are looking for an inexpensive hair crimper that performs at the highest level, then it does not get better than this. The Hot Tools hair crimper featured here is loaded with features, starting with 1-inch plates that create light, textured crimps. It adds volume, too. Moreover, it has multi-directional floating plates, ensuring full hair contact.
The heating element stands out more than anything else, though, with the crimper utilizing Pulse Technology to get hot quickly and stay hot once it gets there. It even has a temperature control dial that includes heat settings up to 430 degrees. The separate on/off switch keeps operation simple as well. It even has a generous 8-foot swivel cord.
- The 1-inch plates add volume and create light, textured crimps
- There are multi-directional floating plates for better coverage
- It gets hot and stays hot due to Pulse Technology
- It works for all hair types and textures
- The long swivel cord gives you plenty of room to work with
- It does not crimp much hair at one time
- The high heat makes it a little risky for beginners
Bed Head Little Tease Hair Crimper
Sometimes, big things come in small packages, and that is exactly the case with Bed Head’s Little Tease hair crimper. This product is fantastic, starting with high-quality ceramic and 1-inch rippled plates that give a great crimped texture and volume. Plus, due to the technology used, you can expect less frizz and more shine after use.
The heat of this hair crimper reaches up to 400 degrees, though there are three heat settings, giving you the ability to choose the right level for you. Additionally, thanks to the spectacular heat recovery, you will see consistent results. It even heats up in a mere 30 seconds. And you do not have to worry about cord length since it has a 6-foot cord.
- The 1-inch rippled plate delivers effective crimping and volume
- The Tourmaline Ceramic Technology reduces frizz and improves shine
- It gets hot in around 30 seconds and stays consistently hot
- There are three heat settings, reaching up to 400 degrees
- The 6-foot swivel cord allows for easy movement during use
- The size is a bit small, so it can be time-consuming
CkeyiN Hair Crimper
If you want a versatile hair crimper, CkeyiN’s 4-in-1 crimper is a great choice. It comes with four interchangeable 1.5-inch ceramic plates, which include flat plates and small, medium, and large wave plates. You even get a heat-resistant glove to protect your hand. Moreover, for further peace of mind, there is a 60-minute automatic shutdown.
This hair crimper also heats up in as little as 30 seconds and has four temperature settings that range from around 320 to 430°F. Additionally, because of the anti-static technology, you can expect far less static and flyaways. And since it has a dual voltage that can be used worldwide, you can take it with you when you travel.
- There are four interchangeable ceramic plates
- The crimper has an automatic shutdown feature for peace of mind
- It heats up quickly and can be adjusted to one of four temperatures
- There is anti-static technology to reduce static and flyaways
- The plates can be a bit difficult to switch
- It is a little heavy, which can cause fatigue
Gold N Hot Professional Ceramic 2” Hair Crimper Iron
If you are in the market for a wide, reliable hair crimper, then this 2-inch crimper from Gold N Hot should be your go-to choice. The ceramic plates distribute heat evenly, which helps to reduce damage to your hair and makes styling faster and easier. The wide plates are also great for thick and long hair, saving you time and frustration.
With this hair crimper, you only have to wait about 60 seconds before it is ready to use. Moreover, you can ramp the heat up with this product, getting it up to around 450°F to get the job done. Additionally, there is a 6-foot swivel cord that will keep you free of tangles and in control.
- The large ceramic plates are great for long or thick hair
- It evenly distributes heat to prevent hair damage
- The temperature rises in as little as 60 seconds
- The temperature reaches around 450°F
- There is a tangle-free swivel cord for easy maneuvering
- There is a lack of temperature settings
- The entire crimper can get quite hot
MBHAIR Ceramic Crimper Iron
MBHAIR is all about versatility and comfort. It starts with ceramic plates that are gentle and work with every hair type, then takes things even further by including five variable temperature settings that make it easy to adjust to your hair type and needs. Moreover, it can heat up all the way to 430°F in as little as 30 seconds.
This crimper also features an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to operate without fatigue. Plus, with the 360-degree swivel cord, you can handle it without worrying about it getting tangled. And, on top of all of that, it has a few quality-of-life features, such as dual voltage for those who like to travel and an automatic shutdown feature.
- The ceramic plates are gentle and work with every hair type
- There are five variable temperature settings
- The handle is ergonomic and comfortable
- The swivel cord allows for easy handling and operation
- It has an automatic shutdown feature
- The crimper can get quite hot on the outside
How to Shop for Best Hair Crimpers
While you might already have an idea of what type of hair crimper you want, it can be difficult with all of the choices out there. However, once you consider a few key points, the decision becomes a bit easier. Therefore, when shopping for a hair crimper, consider the following:
- Plate Shape: The plate shape will have a lot of impact on the results you get after using a hair crimper. Therefore, if you want a bold, distinct crimp, then you will want to go with small, angled ripples. If you are looking for something subtle, you want larger ripples.
- Heat: Although most crimpers have variable heat options, not all of them do. Therefore, keep in mind that a temperature of around 400°F or more is best if your goal is a high-definition crimp. If you want to go subtle with your style, then you will need a crimper with a lower temperature option.
- Material: The most common material for the plates is ceramic. Ceramic offers even heating and protects hair from damage while offering a shine that is hard to beat. However, there are other great materials as well, including tourmaline, which is great for eliminating static. Look into which one suits your needs best.
Another thing you should consider when buying a hair crimper is how safe it is. Some of the crimpers get very hot and require a heat-resistant glove. There are also crimpers with auto-shutdown features that allow you to rest at ease, even if you forget to turn it off.
Hair crimpers are the best and easiest way to create a zig-zag crinkle in your hair, so if you want to go for that nostalgic look, then you definitely want to pick one up. Fortunately, there are some great options to choose from as well. Just make sure that the hair crimper you choose can reach the heat to give you the style you want.
Other Products You May Need
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.