You may be wondering. And it’s okay to ask. What exactly is a DisplayPort to HDMI cable?
Let’s introduce a situation where you might need the aforementioned cable. You’re about to travel to a friend’s house in another state. You’ve got a movie saved on your laptop that you really wanted to show to your friend on their big-screen television.
Maybe it’s a film you shot yourself! Don’t let your hard artistic work go to waste by showing a film on a small laptop screen. Invest in a DisplayPort to HDMI cable so you can easily transfer files from your computer to a television screen for convenience and a better viewing experience for everyone involved.
We have rounded up the seven best DisplayPort to HDMI cables on the market to make the search easier for you.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the best DisplayPort To HDMI of 2021
- The Benfei DisplayPort to HDMI 6 Feet Cable
- The Amazon Basics Uni-Directional DisplayPort to HDMI Display Cable
- Rankie DisplayPort (DP) to HDMI Cable, 4K Resolution Ready
Criteria for Choosing the Best DisplayPort To HDMI
For the sake of brevity, we will hereafter be referring to the DisplayPort to HDMI cables as a cable.
The tricky thing with cables is that after perusing lists they all start to look the same. What makes one better than the other?
Durability: Do you have pets? Do they like to chew things in their vicinity? Even if you aren’t in any danger of hungry, curious chewers, it’s important to get a cable that is durable and strong. Nothing is more frustrating than buying something that breaks quickly a few weeks or days after.
What Do You Need From Your Cable? Do you want a cable that transmits video in 4K? Do you just need something simple where you can plug and play right away? Certain cables have different qualities and attributes, but most importantly we’ve listed cables that get the basic job of transmitting from computers/other compatible devices to televisions.
Price/Reviews: Does price correlate to quality? We will investigate the price of each cable and see if the reviews are great or mixed. Reviews are always one of the best markers for product quality.
The 7 of Best DisplayPort To HDMI of 2021
The Benfei cables come in two lengths: 6 feet and 3 feet. Both lengths are reasonably priced, as in you won’t spend more than fifteen dollars on one Benfei cable. This cord is gold plated and can provide quality graphics of up to 1080 p for HDTV or 1900 x 1200 for PC graphics. The DisplayPort connector comes with a latch for extra connection stability. This cable also has a mirror mode and extended mode, which enhances the overall effectiveness of the cable. The Benfei cable also comes with an 18-month warranty for added peace of mind.
Review wise the Benfei cable has a 4.5-star rating based on an average of 11,165 global reviews. 8,201 of those ratings are five-star reviews.
- The price is reasonable and you can choose a one or two-pack
- Multiple reviewers said that this cable worked exactly as advertised
- Several reviewers said that this cable was reliable and worked great for the price
- One reviewer said that this was a great improvement over a VGA connection
- Another reviewer said that this worked great for work purposes
- One reviewer said that they experienced audio issues when trying to use this cable
- Another reviewer said that their cable for work for a year, but when they finally tried to disconnect it it snapped and didn’t disconnect easily
- One reviewer said that they tested their cord on both of their computers and it just didn’t work at all for them
Next on our list is the Amazon Basics cable. This cable promises high-quality picture and audio due to the cable design, with gold-plated connectors, bare copper conductors, and foil and braid shielding for enhanced picture performance. This cable can support picture resolution up to 4K (note, this is at 30 HZ.) Another nice thing about this cable is that it does come with a one-year limited warranty. You can get this cable in several lengths, from 3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet, and 25 feet.
Note: A unidirectional cable means that the cable only works in one direction.
Review wise this cable currently has a 4.6-star rating based on an average of 26,924 global reviews. 20,437 of those ratings are five-star reviews.
- The price is reasonable for any cable length you choose to buy
- One reviewer said that this cable worked well and exactly as it was advertised
- Multiple reviewers said that this cable was durable and well-made
- Another reviewer said that this product was great for those who are price-wary of products (prefer to spend less so to speak) and the reviewer thought the connectors were durable
- Another reviewer said it worked great transmitting video from their old computer to an old hotel TV
- One reviewer said that they used this cable and it actually decreased their picture quality
- Another reviewer said that their cable worked intermittently and got very hot at certain points which then led to their video buffering
- One reviewer said that their cable just didn’t work from the get go
The Rankie cable is also unidirectional and is triple-shielded to enhance and protect the signal transmission. As noted in the product label, this cable can support a video resolution of up to 4K at 30 Hz. You can purchase this cable in a 6, 10, or 15-foot length, all at reasonable prices under twenty dollars. The connectors for this cable are also gold-plated, which helps protect against corrosion and helps to ensure a more stable signal transmission. This cable also has a latch built into the DP connector.
Review wise the Rankie cable has a 4.6-star rating based on an average of 42,023 global reviews. 32,647 of those ratings are five-star reviews.
- One reviewer gave this cable a 10/10 and said they had used this cable daily for two years and it still worked well after all that time
- Another reviewer said that the cable worked perfectly particularly for the price
- Multiple five star reviewers said that this product worked perfectly for their various needs
- One reviewer said that they did get 4K quality with this cable
- According to the reviews, this cable seemed to work well across a variety of setups
- Several reviewers said that their cable didn’t last longer than a few months
- Another reviewer said that their cable worker initially but then it started to lose connection intermittently
- Another reviewer noted that their cable snapped off way too easily after only slightly adjusting their tv
Well, now we’ve at least got a bit of variety in cable color! Aesthetics aside, the Warrky cable connectors are coated in 24 karat gold, with an aluminum casing and nylon jacket on the cable itself for extra durability. This cable can support a video resolution of up to 4K at 30 Hz as well. Warrky touts their latch-free design as a better option over latches and says that their cables are designed for a secure connection.
Review wise this cable currently has a 4.6-star rating based on an average of 6,665 global reviews. 5,355 of those ratings are five-star reviews.
- The price is very reasonable
- One reviewer said that this cable was a great alternative to other more expensive cables
- Other reviewers said that the cable was very durable and did deliver 4K quality as advertised (note: that quality only works with compatible devices)
- Another reviewer said that this cable was still consistent compared to other cables they had used that wore out after only a few weeks
- Multiple reviewers said that the picture quality they got with this cable was excellent
- One reviewer said that using this cable made their computer monitor flicker
- A few reviewers said that their cable stopped working shortly after they began using it
- Several reviewers said that their cable did not work from the moment they got it
The Anbear cable is reasonably priced and also comes with extended and mirror mode. This cable also comes with a clip lock on the DisplayPort connector and can support picture resolutions of up to 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz. The connectors are gold-plated and again, keep in mind like all of the other cables on this list that the Anbear cable is uni-directional. The product is clearly advertised for its capabilities.
Review-wise the Anbear cable has a 4.5-star rating based on an average of 2,756 global reviews. 2,091 of those ratings are five-star reviews.
- One reviewer was actually concerned that this cable would break but they ended up being pleasantly surprised and said that the cable worked great
- Several reviewers said that this cable worked great for the price
- One reviewer said that they were happy to discover that their cable supported 75 Hz, which was even better than the 60 Hz that the cable is advertised as being able to support
- The reviews showed that this cable worked for a variety of DisplayPort to HDMI setups
- Several reviewers said that their cable did not work from the minute they got it
- One reviewer said that their cable broke when they tried to disconnect it
- Several reviewers said that they tried to use this cable on several different devices in their setups but it still didn’t work
- Only comes in one length
The Capshi cable is capable of supporting a picture resolution of up to 4K, and comes in a grey or red color for a bit of variety past the standard black. The Capshi cables are available to purchase in lengths of 3, 6, and 10 feet. The connectors are gold-plated, and the casing around the connectors are made out of tinplate. Another nice benefit of the Capshi cable is that it is capable of supporting 4K quality as well.
Review wise the Capshi cable has a 4.6-star rating based on an average of 5,301 global reviews. 4,201 of those reviews are five-star ratings.
- Multiple reviewers said that this cable worked as advertised and praised the customer service from the company when they needed issues resolved
- One reviewer said that they would recommend this cable and would buy one again if they needed another cable
- Several reviewers said that this cable did deliver high picture quality as advertised
- Another reviewer appreciated the quality of the connectors
- A reviewer that said they worked in IT tried to get this cable to work and said it never worked for them from the start
- Another reviewer said that their cable did not work for their 4K television
- Several reviewers said that their cable either didn’t work from the start or failed after a few months
Rounding out our list is the Cable Matters cable. You get a two-pack for less than twenty dollars. This cable supports picture resolution of up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz and is also HDCP compatible (for protected content, the company notes.) The connectors are gold-plated and the interior design includes bare copper conductors with wire insulation, foil shielding, braided shielding, and a flexible PVC jacket
- Review wise this cable has a 4.7 star rating based on an average of 420 global reviews. 339 of those reviews are five star ratings
- Several reviewers said that these cables were great for the price point
- Several reviewers said that these worked exactly as advertised
- The price for a two-pack is very reasonable
- One reviewer said that the picture quality with these cables weren’t great, and recommended these cables as backup cables
- Another reviewer said that these cables have their monitor an off-color hue
- Another reviewer said that only one of their two cables worked
A DisplayPort to HDMI cable is one of those items that you may not have even known you needed, but they can certainly make your life easier! We hope you were able to benefit from this list. Remember, it’s not always necessary to break the bank to find a good quality product. A good quality cable can really help at home and for work as well.
Other Products You May Need
- The Seven Best Glass Water Bottles of 2021
- The Seven Best Desk Pads of 2021
- The 8 Best Desk Mats To Keep Your Desk In Check
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.