Nothing beats a basic necessity like an AC power cord. The “AC” stands for adapter cable. If you have a device that requires electricity then you more than likely have used an AC power cord or will require one for future use. Surprisingly there are a lot of factors to consider when purchasing what might seem like a basic item. Is it polarized or not polarized? Is it UL safety certified? And what length do you need? Do you want a cable that is chew-proof? This handy guide can help you decide what AC power cord is right for you and worth your hard-earned money.
If you’re in a hurry, here’s our top 3 quick picks for the best AC power cords of 2021
Here’s Our Criteria For Picking The Best AC Power Cord
- The Length: When it comes to power cords, the length can make all the difference. Do you require a cord that can extend from a bed to the wall for late-night work sessions? Do you have a TV setup that needs a longer cord than normal? Perhaps your device setup would be cumbersome with a longer cord. The length of the cord is a vital piece of information to note before a purchase
- Compatibility: It won’t do to purchase a fancy cord that isn’t even compatible with your device! Checking what cord is compatible with your devices is also important to research before clicking buy now
- Is it Pet Proof? A big cause of power cord failure is thanks to a curious pet chewing away at what they think is a new toy. So getting a durable cable is important. To follow with this theme, does the cord stay firmly plugged into an outlet or does it fail the “tug test” and fall out with the slightest bit of pressure? It’s all about durability.
The 8 Best AC Power Cords of 2021
The C2G Power Cord
With over 11,000 reviews the C2G power cord has to be doing something right. The 10-foot cord can power any 3 pin device and comes with a fully molded plug design. What should anyone care about a fully molded plug design? Because it helps with maximum cable durability, which was a key criteria point for purchasing. This cord has a lifetime warranty and has been tested for safety by UL, a global safety certification company.
- Reviewers praised the versatility of this cord, saying it worked well for everything from a pressure cooker to a PC and many more products.
- You can get this cord in a range of lengths from 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet, and 25 feet.
- The price is less than seven dollars
- Some of the more negative reviews said the cord didn’t last long and some didn’t even power up their devices properly
- Some reviewers were sent a cord with a different length than what they ordered
The Monoprice AC Power Cord Cable
The Monoprice AC power cord cable comes with an extremely cheap price and a lifetime warranty guarantee. This cord comes in a 3 feet or 6 feet option and is an 18AWG figure 8 shape cord plug, which means this cord is compatible with any sockets that have a figure 8 configuration. Many reviewers said this cord got the job done and has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating based off on 900 global reviews.
- This is the perfect cable for those who require a shorter length power cord
- This cord has a 4.7 rating with 81% of the reviews being 5 stars
- The price is cheaper than a trip to Starbucks
- The length could be a con to purchasers who don’t realize it only comes in 3 and 6 feet lengths.
- Does not work for sockets that don’t have a figure 8 configuration
- Some reviewers said their cord didn’t last long
PWR+ AC Cable Replacement Cord
The PWR+ AC Cable Replacement Cord is compatible with printers, scanners, game consoles, laptop notebook chargers, camera battery chargers, entertainment systems, WIFI base stations and so much more. PWR+ offers 30 day refunds and 24 month exchanges for their products. The PWR+ AC cable is ranked number ten in Audio and Video Power Cable bestsellers. This is a non-polarized cable which means it has two round ends for the plug.
- This cable has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating based on 3,280 global ratings
- Comes in 3 feet, 6 feet and 12 feet
- UL listed for safety
- One reviewer noted it didn’t stay securely snug in her power outlet
- Another reviewer said it broke only after a few uses
StarTech Standard Computer Power Adaptor Cord
This cord is for computers only but it is also UL listed (meaning it meets industry-level safety requirements), has a 4.8 rating out of 225 reviews, and is perfect for when you need a shorter cord that nobody in the nearby vicinity will trip over. One reviewer said this was great for working in a data center and another praised it for helping them cut back on cord clutter.
- One reviewer said they were able to successfully utilize this cord to power their television
- The price is less than ten dollars
- Another reviewer said this cord was well made, well worth the money, and was very flexible
- Not as versatile as some of the other cords on this list
- The short length is not good for someone that requires a setup with more distance between the device and the wall outlet
The Amazon Basics Computer Monitor TV Replacement Cord
While a bit pricier than some of the other AC power cords, this Amazon Basics power cord comes in a variety of lengths all the way up to 25 feet, is universally compatible, working with devices that have 3-pin shroud power connectors, and is also UL listed so it meets industry safety standards. This product has almost 20,000 reviews and has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating.
- The length versatility. This product comes in 1 foot, 3 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet, 12 feet, 15 feet and 25 feet. There’s a length for anybody’s needs.
- This product has a 4.7 out of 5 star rating based on 18,902 reviews.
- Many reviewers praised the versatility of this product, saying it worked on everything from an amplifier to an HDTV to a 2006 PS3 and much more
- The price is very reasonable for the product and the price adjusts according to the length you purchase
- One reviewer noted that the female socket dimensions were bad when they tried to use it
- Another reviewer said the cord disconnected easily when they were trying to move their monitor
The POWSEED Polarized AC Wall Power Cable
The POWSEED polarized AC wall power cable comes in with one length, 6 feet, is UL certified, and comes in a two-pronged polarized shape. This product is said to be compatible with a lot of products, including multiple VIZIO television models, several Bose products, Emerson TV products, PlayStation models 1 and 2, Arris Routers and Modems and a lot more. The price is also quite reasonable for the 6 foot length you purchase.
- It’s the only polarized cable on the list so far
- The price is really cheap for the 6 foot length
- UL certified
- Works well with older devices like PS2’s and boom boxes among other older products
- Rated 4.6 out of 5 out of 1,336 global ratings
- One reviewer said it only worked twice then stopped charging afterwards
- Several reviewers said it didn’t fit their PS2
- Another reviewer said the cord fell out easily and another said it didn’t stay snug
- Polarized cables are not universal
The Chanzon Polarized 7A AC Power Cord
The second polarized cord on our list comes in a six and ten-foot length, is also UL certified, and also has overheating protection for extra safety. The Chanzon AC power cord has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating based on 2,577 global reviews. The cord also has a high-quality rubberized texture and is compatible with multiple game consoles, printers, television sets, routers and modems, and more.
- Passed the “safest standard from the US federal agency OSHA,” according to Chanzon
- Compatible with a plethora of electronic devices
- Reviewers said this cord was very durable and worked with everything from an Insignia TV to an old projector
- One reviewer said they appreciated that the cord didn’t twist because they were a “stickler for near cabling.”
- The price is reasonable for the quality
- Comes in three lengths: 3 feet, 6 feet and 10 feet
- A polarized cable means that the plug has one square and one round part of the plug, so it doesn’t work for all devices: not universal
- One reviewer said they had to use a knife to peel off part of the cable end to make the plug fit right for their HP printer
- Another reviewer said that their cable only worked for a week
The Chanzon Non-Polarized AC Power Cord
Chanzon makes the list a second time for also offering a non-polarized AC power cord. This Chanzon cord is available in 3 feet, 6 feet, and 10-foot lengths and is also fully UL certified for safety. This Chanzon non-polarized cord (meaning it has two round ends on the plug) has a 4.8 out of 5-star rating with 1,832 reviews globally.
- This cord is perfect for devices that don’t require a polarized plug
- One reviewer said they didn’t think they’d seem an AC cord packaged as well as the Chanzon
- Another reviewer said it worked well for their TCL 55 inch Roku 4K smart TV
- A lot of reviewers praised it as a good replacement cords for their television sets
- The price is great for the quality and cord length
- Some reviewers said it did not fit for their PS4’s even though the cord was advertised as being compatible with the PS4
- One reviewer said they had to send it back because it didn’t work
- If you need a polarized plug this cable isn’t for you (not a con so to speak, just pay close attention to if the cord says polarized or nonpolarized in general.)
Power cords are a necessary part of life in a world with increasing electronic device availability. Where would we be if we couldn’t power our televisions, phones, laptops, PC’s, printers and so much more? A great and durable power cord can really make a world of difference. The most important thing is that once you plug in the power cord, you should forget that you have a power cord because it works so well you don’t need to pay it any extra attention.
Consider your individual needs before purchasing and remember to ask yourself. Is it durable? What length do you need? Do you require a polarized or non-polarized plug? Is price important? Safety?
Those are just some factors to consider before you click that easy buy now button.
Other Related Products You Might Enjoy
- The Best Power Strip With USB Port of 2021 [Top Ten List]
- Upgrade Your Desk With The Best Paper Organizer Of 2021 [14 Recommended Paper Organizers]
- The Best Battery Operated Fan Choices of 2021 [Top 9 List]
We hope you enjoy these products! But keep in mind, Grit Daily might take a small commission on the items recommended here—but that doesn’t mean we don’t believe in them. We only recommend products that we would buy or use ourselves, so don’t be wary of our suggestions.